Trying to find out if homeschooling is right for my child
    Tory Harris is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Trying to find out if homeschooling is right for my child

My middle child is in 5th grade and is in a small school… there are about 30 kids in the 5th grade. The problem I am having is he is not retaining any information and they are at the end of their 2nd six weeks and he is failing almost every class. He has ADHD and is not taking medication (thanks to insurance costs keep rising) One of his teachers told me that she likes that he isn't medicated because she can tell he is kind of there more. He doesn't daze off like he use to. Well going back to last year he was up and down with his grades and they went ahead and placed him because i know it would hurt his ego more keeping him back than moving him on and hoping the teachers would work with him more. Well that isn't happening. I have requested a set of books to be at home but when the teachers won't let me know what they are going over than i can't even try to reinforce it at home. I have talked to my husband about pulling him out and homeschooling him for a year and than letting him go back next year. I have another son that is in 6th and struggled last year also. He is doing much better this year and is loving school when he hated it last year. My kids are very athletic and since we live in a small town they will want to play sports in school. I just don't know what I should do and if i should just go ahead and pull him so he can catch up and avoid the dreaded starr test. because that is what they are teaching for… not really teaching to learn.

Thanks for any help
    Tory

HopeSpringsFam is offline Junior Member

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I can't answer your questions from a small town standpoint (I live in the suburbs), but I can from the ADD/ADHD standpoint. I have ADD, my mother has ADD, my brother and my oldest son have ADHD. I have taken medication, but choose not to right now. I will not put my son on medication until he is much older, if then.

I was pulled from public school in 9th grade, my brother was pulled later that same year from 5th grade. It made a huge difference on how well we learned, how much was retained, and how much it was enjoyed. Being able to move at our individual paces, taught using our learning styles, and not having to "stay with the class" were HUGE benefits. Since we were able to get up and move whenever we wanted, do flips if needed to get out excess energy, and jump to remember facts, we found that medicine wasn't really necessary until things got super difficult.

One of the biggest/hardest things we had to learn as a family was that we didn't need to/shouldn't do "school at home." Our "school" had to be very different than the public school. The public school didn't work for us, so why would changing the location help? Like I said, it was a hard lesson to learn. It took us nearly a whole year to figure out what curriculum to use for each of us, and what school had to look like for each of us. I'll tell you though, it looked different for each of us. It looks different still for my son. THAT was hard to learn, too! I [mistakenly] thought that what worked for my brother and/or me would work for my son. WRONG! We're all individuals, and work best with an individual approach.

I don't know if there are any other sports options available in your area, or within reasonable driving distance, but that might be something worth looking into. Also, some public schools allow private schooled students (that's what homeschoolers are in TX) to participate in sports and other extra-curricular activities. Perhaps your kids' schools would do that. It couldn't hurt to ask.

All this is just my opinion, and you can take from it what you will. I hope you can figure out what's best for your kids. That's ultimately what any of this is all about. Best of luck!!