Wondering how to move my daughter up a grade..
    Unregistered Guest

Default Wondering how to move my daughter up a grade..

Hi I am from Texas and I am homeschooling my daughter and she was not finish with 4th grade but that work was not challenge enough for her so I move her to fifth grade work and she is doing great I just want to make sure that it's ok to move her.. Please let me know if I missed something and I was wondering how do kids at homeschool do the Starr testing... Also wondering if there is a placement test on this program to do that will tell me where she need to be at.. Thank you so much Kim..

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Kim,

It is fine to move her to 5th grade. You do know that she has access to three grade levels within each subject. For example, if she is placed at 4th grade level then she has access to grades 4, 5, and 6 for each subject. She is not subject to STARR testing as a homeschooler. There are no placement tests per say on here, but you can Google free placement tests and find many.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Default Placement

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi I am from Texas and I am homeschooling my daughter and she was not finish with 4th grade but that work was not challenge enough for her so I move her to fifth grade work and she is doing great I just want to make sure that it's ok to move her.. Please let me know if I missed something and I was wondering how do kids at homeschool do the Starr testing... Also wondering if there is a placement test on this program to do that will tell me where she need to be at.. Thank you so much Kim..
    "Hi, I'm in Alvarado TX and homeschooling 3 grandchildren. I have found that the Texas State Core Curriculum - the detail pages, are an excellent way to know exactly where your child is in any subject. For my 5 year old in Kindergarden I checked each item and discovered 2 or three things I missed (such as counting to twenty, not starting at one) and so was able to see what she need to do to complete her work and move on the 1st Grade - which we did over the summer. There are several internet sites (include the State itself) that have the Core Curriculum by subject and grade and I found it made me more confident that I was actually covering everything.

Phydeaux is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello. I am also from Texas and have two daughters that I home schooled through 7th grade. My younger daughter entered the public school system as a 7th grader. They made her repeat 7th grade although she passed the TAKS test with scores high enough to enter 8th grade. They sited her maturity level compared to the other 8th graders (yeah, right) but did allow her to enter one grade above others her age. As a junior, she left Permian High School and finished at Richard Milburn Academy where she was once again able move forward and managed to graduated last year two years and three months ahead of her peer group as valedictorian. (Her first year of college was paid for by the state for graduating #1. Yay!)

When my oldest daughter was in 1st grade, we started the younger in kindergarten--while her age group was still in preschool. By the next year I noticed that although one was in 1st and one was in 2nd, they were learning much of the same things--just in a slightly different order. We easily moved the younger into 2nd grade alongside her sister and cousin and never looked back.

The beauty of home schooling is that you have the control and can school your children at their pace--not at the pace of 25 other children. If your child is ready to move up and can easily handle the work, go for it. You can always slow down, review, or go back if it doesn't work out.

You just need to be aware when moving your child up that, if you ever put your child into the public school system, they may insist that your child repeat a grade and refuse to put them at the grade level that they deserve to be in based on their level in your home school.