2nd Grade Suggestions.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By leahnc

Thread: 2nd Grade Suggestions.

leahnc is offline Junior Member

Red face 2nd Grade Suggestions.

My son is still in public school (Common Core curriculum) He is repeating second grade and now I am wishing I would've home schooled him this year. He continues to struggle academically by the schools standards? We are having him tested to see if he is eligble for IEP/504? I think he is doing fine other than he has a hard time sitting still for homework and reading. His teacher says he rushes through assignments and tests and doesn't really grasp the information? He has ADHD and I have decided not to medicate. (personal reasons)

I've been researching homeschooling and am 100% certain he would benefit hugely if I could homeschool him. Since he is retained I feel added pressure to get working at "grade level" by the end of the school year?

Thanks - Looking for advice

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Leah. One of the great things about homeschooling is that you can go at the child's pace. I sort of bristle at the term "at grade level", because some students just aren't capable of that. In fact, the added pressure to "catch up" stresses them and can do more harm than good. (Likewise, some are thwarted by having to "hold back" if they learn more quickly than expected. Kids are learn at different rates.)

If you decide to homeschool long term, you can just plod away at his pace. I have a child with special needs, and I'm happy if he is making progress, even if it's very slow progress.

Here is some information about using Time4Learning with a student with ADHD. Time4Learning and ADHD

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

leahnc is offline Junior Member

Thank you for replying. We are definitely playing catch up. I am learning so much about homeschooling and glad there is an alternative to what we are doing now. I pushed for the public school to do the testing and they agreed that he was indeed "behind grade level" . Im not sure an IEP or 504 is what is needed to be honest. I thought it would level the playing field, but am having reservations about my decision. Testing wont be done til December. I will read the article you posted, thanks for sharing.

greenfrogger is offline Junior Member

Hi!

Although my children have not repeated a grade all my kids have IEP since pre-school. While it does help like getting extra time for test and probably assignments it also can backfire like we have learned. My husband and I have decided to pull our oldest 2 (2nd and 1st) and homeschool them using Time4Learning. I'm not sure about your school district but ours (like so many others) just push kids ahead to the next grade - especially those with an IEP.

I know my kids can do "regular education" work. They just have to do it their way which is different then what the schools expect. My oldest is in a special education class that are for kids in the district on the Autism spectrum that can't function in a regular education classroom. When it comes to writing - my oldest gets very frustrated with it to the point he's having meltdowns. The school reassessed him and labeled him ASD because I feel that they didn't know what else to do. I pushed for a better solution then regular ed and was assured this program would be an awesome fit. Well, there's a few things I have learned - the program called CORE Plus is a brand new program and it's for kids with moderate to severe autism. My son, who may have some ASD tendencies is not learning a thing because the teacher and aides have to attend to the other kids in the class. (Both my husband and I have volunteered in his class) My son also does not like music class because the kids' voices are so high pitch it hurts his ears but yet they push him to go. He goes - but is not happy about it.

I have another son that is on a reduced schedule of 2 hours a day (1st grade) and can tell you he's not really learning either. He's a bit tougher to crack but I think once his brother starts doing it he'll want to have fun too.

So, the answer, in my opinion, is an IEP doesn't necessarily mean an even playing field. Good Luck to you.