6th grade & gifted vs. marginal T4L reviews
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: 6th grade & gifted vs. marginal T4L reviews

RoamingRVer is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 6th grade & gifted vs. marginal T4L reviews

My wife and I are pretty sure that we are going to (something)-school our daughter next year. She's in 5th grade this year and is currently above grade level in reading and math. She qualified for the gifted & talented classes for next year in reading, math, and something else. We want to do some kind of alternative schooling for because we would like to spend the year traveling the country.

I'm very new in my search for schooling options. I know we want a secular program. I've run the gamut of using a public cyber school like Connections Academy to purchasing curriculum from somewhere like K12 to using T4L. The public/cyber school feels a little too structured BUT I very much liked the idea of having teachers available as her primary instruction givers vs. my wife and I. My wife and her clash when it comes to learning and I need to work full-time.

I have read a few blogger reviews that say T4L is good up until about 5th grade and then the material becomes a bit rudimentary. Given that she's going into 6th grade for the 2015-2016 school year and is generally considered above grade level, this is a very real concern for me.

I also have a fear of the low pricing for T4L vs. all of the other options that I have looked at (anywhere from $5,000+ per year to $500 for materials and $100/month). We have decent schools in our area and if she returns to public school the following year, I'd be heartbroken if she's no longer able to get into the G/T programs or worse-case scenario, behind.

To quote Jack Skellington, "my skull's so full, it is tearing me apart!"

-FreakedOutDaddy

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Dad!

As far as the pricing, you are comparing Time4Learning to online schools. Time4Learning is not a school because, as you pointed out, the parent is the teacher of record. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum. An online school will be much more expensive.

My own kids have used T4L since 2006. The eldest four have all been ready for college at age 16. It doesn't have to be hard, it doesn't have to be boring, and it doesn't have to take a lot of time. Time4Learning is very efficient and, if your child enjoys learning, some of the lessons should spark an interest in topics she can explore on her own.

Students can work at any grade level. They can also work at different grade levels in each subject.

Among my kids, I have one who was formally identified as "gifted and talented", one who probably would have been if I'd had him tested, two who are pretty average academically, one with Down syndrome, and one who struggled a bit with her school work. The flexibility of being able to skip lessons, repeat lessons, do lessons out of sequence, and work at different grade levels has made this curriculum a good fit for all of them. (My younger two are still using it.)

You can certainly try it out and, if it's not a good fit, you can just cancel. If you cancel within the first two weeks, your money will be refunded. There is no registration fee and you pay month-to-month, so you are not obligated to continue for any specific number of months. The financial risk is very low.

Good luck to you as you make these important decisions! I hope I've helped a little.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Kelly, thanks for the input!

You're right that the $6,000 cost was online schooling. The $500 up front + $100/month was the K12 curriculum and online access to their "Independent Study Program". I feel like that the latter is closer to comparing apples-to-apples with Time4Learning. Which, as you can see is still quite a bit different cost-wise.

Hearing that your kids were college ready with the T4L system does definitely calm my nerves a lot.

If anyone else is reading and has a kid who are in the 6th+ grades, I'm all ears for your input.

Nervous Mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I too have a "gifted" child who would be starting 6th grade. However, he is above his grade level in some suggests. If his previous school certifies that he is "technically" suppose to be in 6th grade, do we have to start him off in 6th grade? Or could we start off in 7th, doing some 6th grade courses & some 8th grade courses?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Nervous Mom. When homeschooling, the parent is the teacher of record . . . so you make all those types of decisions! Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum . . . not a school. So, you can place your student in a different grade level for each subject, if you like, or even go back and forth between grade levels. You can change grade levels as often as you need to by logging in to your parent account. The previous school does not have to certify anything.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Nervous Mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

So, if I understand correctly, we take the state standardised test at the end of each year up through high school & then what? He gets a diploma from " Time4Learning"? What if he decides he wants to shift back to public school at some point? Do we just provide his state test results to re-register? Also, do we have to notify the school board at the beginning of each year that he will not be attending public school? Sorry for so many questions!