7th grade public school
    julielm75 is offline Junior Member

Default 7th grade public school

I have really been struggling with how to handle the situation my son is in and I am hoping this could be my answer. I would love feedback from users to see if this will be a good fit for us.

My son is 14, the youngest of 4 boys. In first grade he did not perform well and had a late birthday so we held him back. That seemed to help some but he still struggled. In 5th grade he did not pass. Math is a real struggle for him. The school contacted me and said they would be placing him in 6th grade as they did not believe it would be beneficial to hold him back. I asked about programs for him during the summer to help him and was told they do not offer anything. I was not guided to any online programs or anything (I did not realize all these online programs existed). He went into 6th grade only to find himself already behind, failing, feeling helpless and not wanting to ask questions. Again placed into the 7th grade only to repeat the same cycle. This time the school held him back. I spent my summer trying to find alternatives for him but nothing worked out (private schools, charter schools). We are now a few months into 7th grade for the 2nd time and he is not doing well again, feels like he is so much older than the other kids and absolutely hates school.
    I have spent the last few weeks looking into homeschooling, online school.... I work from home so I am definitely here to assist him but I do have to work. Is this a program he can work independently with me right there to help and answer questions as needed? We definitely will have several hours a day we could go over lessons but they would be broken up throughout the day.

I would also like him to catch up and go back to public school for high school, I really like our high school and the programs they have. I would like him to be able to graduate with his friends. But maybe he will flourish with homeschool, who knows.

Is any of this feasible with this program?

We are in Texas if this helps any with thoughts or advice.

Thank you in advance for all your thoughts!

wayway is offline Junior Member

Default Re: 7th grade public school

Hi sorry to hear about your son, but, I am also new to this home school with my 12 year old daughter. Because of her medical condition, we decided with her this was best for her was home school, unfortunately, I've learned that the best guidance at this age is to really listen to what your son says, of course with parents guidance as a final decision. My daughter just started her math lessons, yesterday (11/12/16), and has finished her quiz with a 100% score, I was floored when she told me this was her first lesson in this particular activity (number system/fractions); don't get me wrong, it is challenging at the point your son is now, just be there; you have a great advantage being at home with him, I'm an at home mom as well, but, let him explore those options with this tool, it's very user friendly, all the activities are presented in animation I believe attracted my kid to where she was relaxed and it drew her attention, she was already an honor roll student but, it takes something to capture a "kids" attention no matter what age if you catch my drift, anyways I hope this helps, feel free to let me know any time you feel anxious, etc., but, don't get overwhelmed, they can feel what you're going through, wishing you success in whatever you decide to do always remember it's his future whatever you both decide from here.

julielm75 is offline Junior Member

Thank you! We decided to move forward with homeschooling and did sign up for T4L. Today is day 1.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Julie.

Welcome to Time4Learning!

Some parents have their child do the tests and quizzes first, before doing the associated lessons. You can start a couple grade levels below where you think he might be working. If he does well on an assessment (test or quiz), then he does not have to do the associated lessons. If he doesn't do so well on an assessment, then he should do the associated lessons and try the assessment again. In this way, he is only working on things he does not already know. Students can usually progress quickly this way. If you choose to do things that way, you do not need to use the Activity Planner and you do need to understand how the program is organized, so you can do things in sequence.

Middle school is a great time for "catching up". Students usually know how to read and do basic math operations, so they are just expanding on things they have already learned. I would concentrate on math and language. Those two subjects require basic skills that further study builds on. Social studies is such a broad topic and every school will have different ideas about what to teach, when to teach it, and how in-depth to go. Many upper level science skills require a good grasp of math. So, if you feel your child is "behind", it's sometimes a great idea to step back and really provide an opportunity for him or her to hone those basics skills (instead of getting bogged down memorizing dates in history just long enough to pass a test).

We're happy to have you with us, and we'd love for you to share more as you go along.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!