7th Grader with Aspergers
    walanray is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 7th Grader with Aspergers

I just pulled my son out of public school mostly because of bullying. He has Aspergers' syndrome (high functioning autism).

The program looks VERY interesting, but I'm concerned that there are no activities in science (his best subject and subject of interest) in the 7th grade and no science or social studies in the 8th grade.

If we were to join this program, what alternatives would you suggest for these subjects?

Thanks

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

He would have access to the sixth grade science and it is just fine for 7th graders.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

There are suggestions for experiments, activities and books for additional reading in T4L science. The parent log-in page contains the list of non-household materials needed if you want to complete the experiments.

Likewise, social studies contains suggestions for note books, activities, and books.

If initially you want to start with T4L and not mess with another program, I would look at the topics in the middle grades science and social studies and cover any topics that he has not covered in school. Remember when our child is in a brick and mortar school we are trained to think in terms of grade level, but as a homeschooler you are free to explore whatever topics arouse your child's curiosity at whatever level he is able.

This is particularly true of the survey subjects of science and history. There is essential little to no difference in one middle school history or science text and another. What one school uses as a sixth grade history or science text another may use for eighth grade.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo