accidental homeschooler
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jvigrl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default accidental homeschooler

Hi
    I just decided to pull my 13 yr old out of ps for a number of reasons. Top one being, he is not learning much. I just printed my letter and can't wait to get started. I'm so glad I found this website. It really seems right for my son. My son has ADHD and Auditory Processing I was wondering if any one out there has used any other curriculum that worked for them. I will be starting T4L as soon as I get approval. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Laura

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Laura. We're glad you found us!

We have many members who have children with ADD and/or auditory processing disorders. Hopefully, some of them will share the wisdom of their experience.

Welcome to Time4Learning and this forum.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome!
    I pulled my son 10 days ago from 6th grade for about the same reason. I felt he was moving backwards in the 5 weeks of PS he had. I checked into several other options such as Connections Academy, etc. but felt they were VERY structured and regimented. We didnt want that. We have done t4l for 1 week on a very easy schedule to get used to it and we are in LOVE! My son scored 80% -100% on the stuff he did this week, and has a 92% average for 4 days. I know this may not continue this well, but we are thrilled for him and he really enjoyed it and seeing his progress this week.
    He also has ADHD and we feel this coupled with an eye disorder he had for the first 11 years of his life.... has hindered his learning.
    This is my 1st time at homeschooling, though I have wanted to do it for years. I am a SAHM who also does daycare, so I was able to do this for my son.
    I spent a few weeks checking into Homeschool options, before we decided on t4l because we had already spoken about it being a consideration.

Thanks for the welcome. I hope he succeeds in it also. He has low self esteem now, because of all the low grades in ps. Hopefully this is just what he needs. Take care and good luck being a home schooler!!
    laura

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where add/adhd kids were just accepted and were able to be educated with the tax money we pay every year without frustration, irritation, fear and insanity? *sigh*
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Yes!! If only that were true. It is soo frustrating for him and myself..

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

Public school wasn't good for my son's self-esteem either. His last teacher (big jerk) in particular. It's been a long road trying to build it back up.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

My son had 2 great last years in PS, both 4th and 5th grade. I do not think that the 5th grade teacher prepared them though for Middle School very well. My son drew ALL yuck teachers for MS and the stress of MS, changing classes, etc. really brought him down along with NON-helpful teachers.
    I praised him yesterday for doing so well on something and he was embarrassed. I asked him if teachers told him when he did well, he said NO. I said well, at home when you do a great job I am going to tell you!! Get ready to hear it a lot since you are doing so well already!
    All it takes for ADHD kids is one bad teacher to ruin school for them. We almost lost him in 1st grade due to a bad teacher, he survived and we moved to a new district and really turned around. But 5th grade is the end of Elem. school here and they switch to Middle School with 6 classes, time limits, changing around, etc. and there were SO many rules not to mention the weight of the stuff he was required to carry around W/O a backpack because they were not allowed to have them outside their lockers.

I think 4th grade was really the turning point for my son. It has been all down hill since then. He is now in 7th. He has an IEP, but I don't see it working at all. He never wants to go. Which I know is because of the low grades, self esteem, etc....I'm waiting for our approval to homeschool and then who knows what the future will hold. I'll keep ya posted.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

1st grade was really hard for jack. in the beginning of the year, his teacher wasn't the best. aloof, disconnected, a little scattered. just not an ideal 1st grade teacher. then, right after christmas break, they added a new teacher to the staff. brand new ... i asked her if she was old enough to drive. she was sweet, don't get me wrong, i really did like her. and she tried so hard, but she was not armed with the necessary tools to handle what they gave her. aparently, all the teachers pooled together and gave the new girl their "problem kids" ... and my son was included in that mix. he was put into a class with students that were all at the bottom of the educational spectrum, instead of well spread out like they're supposed to be. all of the kids were behavior problems. and all of them, except for jack, could barely even read. it was horrible. i was in that classroom almost every day at the end of the year. teaching, helping, corralling.... it was a nightmare. when i asked to get jack tested for gifted, they told me no because his behavior wasn't worthy of being in a gifted classroom. *sigh*

regarding ms ... my school did something really neat when we were in the 6th grade and brand new to all the class-changing nonsense. we only had 2 teachers for our core classes and their rooms were right next door to each other. they taught different levels (regular and advanced), and we would just go back and forth thru the day. we would leave that area 3 times during the day: lunch, PE and our "special" which was usually band, chorus or art ... or something else but i don't remember what that was. we had a set of books at home and a set at school so we didn't deal with lockers and stuff. it worked really well and i wish they still did it.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast