Accidental homeschooler
    smachong is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Accidental homeschooler

I am an accidental homeschooler also, I just pulled my 2 boys age 7 and 9 yrs out of ps. My 9 yr old is diagnosed with ADHD/ODD, I also think he suffers with visual/motor processing. He has an IEP, but we found that it was not working, the school has not really helped in the way we thought fit.

We have tried T4L for the past week, and my boys love it!! My 9yr old is getting results that he loves, and my 7yr old is begging me to get on the computer everyday.

I am still new to this, but am wondering if this program can be used as the whole curriculum, or if I have to supplement with something else. Ive been thinking of signing up with another online company, and they send out books to you. Can anyone give me advice?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Accidental homeschooler

Time4Learning is a complete core curriculum for language arts and math. It is aligned to state standards and used in schools. From third grade up, the free social studies and science programs are also complete and very thorough.

You might want to add penmanship and a daily journal entry. Some students need more drill than a math curriculum provides. If that seems the case, you can add flashcards or something similar for drill. Other popular additions are foreign language, art, and music.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

smachong is offline Junior Member Newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply... I was worried I would have to "wait" for awhile... I am looking for other homeschool moms to connect with for support in the Hawaii area. There are so many who dont approve of homeschooling, I dont want to have to defend my every move.

Thanks again for the info.

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Once you start seeing the improvements in your children's performance and confidence, it will be a lot easier to defend yourself. When I take the kids out during the day, we get a lot of looks and the occasional strange comment. Some people will never accept that there is a different way of educating your children than institutionalizing them, but most become more curious than anything. They seem to find it difficult to argue when you can demonstrate that your children are doing well and are being exposed to more hands-on learning than would ever be possible in a classroom.

Think of it this way. In college, you spend your lower years sitting in a room with one person telling you what to believe. By the time you make it to post-graduate work, you become responsible for making your own hypotheses and thinking through all of the variables in order to form your own conclusions. homeschooling is in many ways preparing children for higher thinking that is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to achieve in a public school setting. Homeschoolers are much more likely to get out there and learn about the real world *in* the real world and that takes those higher learning skills. Instead of sitting in a room being told about surface tension in bubbles, they can be in their backyards making their own bubble formulas to discover for themselves what makes the strongest ones. They can read about Paul Revere, or they can go to Boston and visit his house. They can read about how many lives were lost in a given war, or they can go to Washington DC and touch the Vietnam memorial. They can see a picture of a giant redwood, or they can lie at the base of one and try to see the top. If you can provide a sound education for your child, other people (especially strangers, though sometimes more often family & friends) have no reason to rattle your choices.
    Melissa.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

aloha! welcome to the group!

my best advice is to start with just this. you'll be surprised at how complete the curriculum really is. as your boys become more used to the new way of learning, you can add more and more. when we first started, t4l and journaling was all we did. now we've added bible studies, unit studies, spelling, and later this year we'll be adding spanish, latin and other stuff, too.

you can look into the state section on here to find others in your state, and most states have organizations that can assist you in finding homeschooling groups in your area.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!