accredited vs non accredited...
    Denise Mata is offline Junior Member Newbie

Exclamation accredited vs non accredited...

Hello, I already have my 16 year old in an accredited homeschool program and thinking of pulling out my other daughters out of public school and into the homeschool program. just to summarize the difference, and if you can add or revise of what I think I get from both. The difference being that one has diploma and the other does not. I keep track of everything, vs you pay someone to do it for you. I live in Illinois so the law is pretty simple. Now, once all requirements are met according to IL, I could issue the diploma and transcript's myself? So they could move on to our local college....now with this program, once each course is completed successfully, do we get some sort of grade or completion certificate? so we have a running file for future proof?

Ginene is offline Junior Member

I think you can print your own with the full report options. I'm new as well so not 100% sure. I know someone that use this program and the umbrella program she is with prints out report cards from the average of the grades that she sends from here and they also issue diplomas from their church umbrella group.

I just started the program in October 2015. I didn't realize I joined this forum in 2007 until I responded to your post. LOL

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Denise. You can log in to your parent account at any time to view or print a customized report.

The difference in enrollment in an online school (which many people mistakenly call "homeschooling") and actually homeschooling is in who oversees the student's education and in what laws apply. If your student is enrolled in an online school, someone else (a teacher or teachers) decides what they must do, and school staff keeps records, issues a diploma, and so forth. The school itself is responsible for seeing that laws that apply to schools are followed.

In homeschooling, the parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws in their own state. The parent is the teacher of record, so they can use a program like Time4Learning in any way they feel is best for their student. That's why you can do lessons out of sequence, repeat lessons, skip lessons, do end-of-chapter tests or not, do tests open-book style, work at different grade levels in different subjects, etc. We provide printable reports that detail time spent on each activity and a percentage grade, but they are for your information, since you probably don't want to sit right next to your student all the time to "see how he does" on each lesson.

A public school might not consider homeschool reports "proof" of anything. They do not actually have to accept any private school or homeschool work for credit, but most of them will negotiate with you. It sometimes comes down to the individual you are speaking with, since most schools evaluate each situation on its own and don't have hard-and-fast rules about what they will give credit for.

Colleges actively recruit homeschoolers and are more interested in their entrance exam test scores than in how they acquired the knowledge.

The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeschool High School.com . They have diploma and transcript templates and all sorts of other helps.

Good luck to you!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!