adhd and new to homeschooling
    emmielhayes is offline Junior Member

Default adhd and new to homeschooling

Hi there. I was wondering how well this works for kids with mild ADHD. My son is 8 and he has issues with getting it on paper. Will this program work well for him? Also, is time4learning enough for him to do or should i add other things for him to do. He is easily bored and gets frustrated with repitition. Today was his last day of public school. I am terrified I may get this wrong.

How many hours a day are required in North Carolina for them to be doing school work. Should I break it up some or just hit the floor running. So many questions. So glad I found this place. Thanks, Emmie

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Emmie! We're glad you found us, too!

First of all, click the State Groups tab at the top of this page and join the North Carolina group.

Next, you might want to explore the Welcome to Homeschooling Guide, located beneath the Help/FAQs tab. The Getting Started Guide and the Hints and Help are what you want to read for answers to questions that are specific to Time4Learning.

Here's some great info on using Time4Learning for a student with ADHD.

Time4Learning offers a complete math and language arts curriculum, with science and social studies included for most grades. The curriculum is aligned to state standards and is used in many schools. Some things parents choose to add ate foreign language study, journaling, penmanship, library books, sports activities, and music lessons. In addition, some students require drill work in math or extra help in areas where they struggle.

Although any curriculum can benefit from electives, many (probably "most") of our members use Time4Learning as their core curriculum.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

bbydol221 is offline Junior Member

Hey, Emmie! I just started T4L with my 7 year old son about 2.5 weeks ago. I think he may have a little adhd going on but has never been diagnosed. He definitely has issues staying focused and gets bored easily. This program has been amazing so far! He's moving along very quickly and loving every minute! The only extra things I do so far are reading and writing. He HATES writing, but I make him write at least a paragraph every day. We also do weekly speling tests. I'll be starting my 4 year old in a week or so and my 3 year old will start in the fall. This has been such a great program because my son despises book work and worksheets. He's learning without realizing it! Hope everything goes well with you and your son

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emmielhayes View Post
    Hi there. I was wondering how well this works for kids with mild ADHD. My son is 8 and he has issues with getting it on paper. Will this program work well for him? Also, is time4learning enough for him to do or should i add other things for him to do. He is easily bored and gets frustrated with repitition. Today was his last day of public school. I am terrified I may get this wrong.

How many hours a day are required in North Carolina for them to be doing school work. Should I break it up some or just hit the floor running. So many questions. So glad I found this place. Thanks, Emmie
    Hi Emmie,

Welcome! We add read a louds, field trips, handwriting and bible. Once in awhile I will even add a small unit study for FUN. However, our core program is Time4learning;-)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Emmie, Welcome to Time4Learning. I also have an 8 year old boy. Although he has not been diagnosed he is probably dyslexic and I swear he has the attention span of a gnat. We are in our fourth year of using Time4Learning. My son loves it. I do break things up for him. We never sit for more than an hour at a time. Besides t4l, we do Handwriting Without Tears. We also do lots of field trips to nature centers, environmental centers, and historic sites. You will find that he will learn as much or even more in an hour of t4l than he was learning all day in public school. At home he has your attention. He doesn't have to share it with 30 or 40 other kids. Take a deep breath. Join your state group. And have fun.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Emmie,
    My 10 year old daughter has ADHD, and that is part of the reason we pulled her from public school. We have been using Time4Learning for 4 years now. It works great for her. She also strongly dislikes repetition, and getting things on paper. It is almost as if those things move too slow for her brain. Being an online curriculum, you can have your son write as much or as little as he needs to. When we were doing the lower elementary grades I also let her skip some lessons and just take the quiz. If she got a 90% with no lesson done she didn't have to do the lessons. That cut down on some of the repetition. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE T4L! We do suppliment things that T4L doesn't touch on: Spanish, word ladders, penmanship, special projects--sort of like mini unit studies, on things that interest my daughter. We add field trips, park day, TaeKwonDo as physical education, and music through choir and piano. As a core curriculum though, T4L has plenty of information on basic subjects. Enjoy, and best of luck!

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one child for 4 years with Time4Learning!

ponywow is offline Junior Member

My son has been diagnosed with sever ADHD he is 11 years old. He was unable to be educated in a traditional classroom center and had to go to a residential treatment center for a year. When he got there he was at a 3rd grade reading level and was brought up to his grade level in 9 months. This told me that he did not have a problem learning. The odd thing about ADHD is how the kids can sit for hours and play a video game, but can't sit still in a class room chair for more than 5 minutes. This is because they will only pay attention to things they are interested in. When my son came home he was at grade level for reading and language arts, but had a difficult time keeping up with his math. I originally purchased an expensive KUMON book and asked him to sit down and work the problems. He became very frustrated with it. He was able to work the math problems when his older brother gave him 1 on 1 instruction. He hated the book and I could see it just wasn't going to work out. I sat on line for 2 straight days trying to find a program for him and my pre-schooler. I stumbled on this. The preschooler stood captivated while I played the demo videos. The 11 year old felt right at home in front of the computer, looking at the demos and interacting with them. I have a private school and will defiantly be recommending this program to my students.