Is this all I need????
    CSanchez1971 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Is this all I need????

Is this curriculum all I need to get her through homeschooling? Will I need to have her participate in other activities from other sources?

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello.

I read your other post that says your daughter is in 2nd grade. Time4Learning is used by many homeschoolers as their sole curriculum, while others choose to supplement. I can give you a link for the 2nd grade Overview, which gives a better description of the material your daughter would be learning.

I can tell you what we've done in our homeschool. Some years we've supplemented, and some we've only used T4L. At the 2nd grade level, I would only had some handwriting and reading. We go to the library once a week and check out books and educational movies for the week. This is a treat for us. We love the library. I want to foster a love of reading in my kids for so many reasons. So that's a priority in our home. I also have my daughter do copy work. I'll give her a text from a book to copy, which is good for handwriting practice, grammar, and spelling.

We are also members of a homeschool support group, which has an active calendar of events, field trips and activities. We're also going to be joining their drama club and P.E. group. Last year my daughter took a music class where she learned about classical music, composers and how to play the recorder.

I hope that's helpful.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

I'm using TFL as my entire curriculum for math, science, and social studies. We're using some of the LA units, but also doing independent reading and I'm making him work on handwriting (not normally a 7th grade subject) because he has fine motor delays. I'd rather read real books with him than have him do a zillion "Language Arts" activities."

I want to learn Spanish this year, which TFL doesn't offer, so we're planning using DuoLingo for that. I'm also required by NYS law to have phys ed and health, which aren't covered by TFL, but are anyway part of our lifestyle.

I don't intend to pay extra for the Time for Writing, either, so I plan to work on writing assignments by ourselves. I'll need to find a list somewhere of what kinds of writing he needs to cover this year.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

dakotamom is offline Member

Hi there! When my son was homeschooled for two years previously, we used T4L and he was right up to level when he returned to public school. I was relieved as I had worried about it. This is besides the reading level as he is dyslexic and so his reading is always behind, but Language Arts/Grammar, Math, etc. was right on level.

With my daughter who is homeschooling now (2nd grade), we use T4L for all subjects available, but we also have a library day once per week where we check out new books for the week (some for me to read to her, but definitely some for her to practice reading herself). I give her extra writing on the side, though T4L does provide worksheets that have writing involved.

Some of our extra writing includes: Pen pal letters to her cousin. Letters written to family. Journal. Copy-writing. And my new idea is to start our day off with a Bible story and then we may write a short journal entry with highlights we learned. I don't make her do a ton at a time. Just so many sentences and can also kind of judge when she is "done".

Also, I do not mind if she only feels like copy-writing. Those moments can address the punctuation and capitalization and handwriting practice. I even offer to let her do the brain-storming and I write it down first for her to copy-write. Usually she wants to just do it herself, but I offer it on the "I don't feel like doing this" days.

Our favorite thing to do is lapbooks. The one we have been doing is moving rather slowly, but we can incorporate her own writing practice, science, and reading into it. They are fun because there is usually also drawing, cutting and gluing. After the work involved, she gets to see a finished section each day and that is fun. I know math can be creatively added into it, but we haven't gotten that creative yet! I like the T4L for math and have a few worksheets on the side sometimes.

The other thing we do is make sure she does spelling. I am big on spelling and I give her words to write out twice on the first day. After that, I sometimes come up with creative quick things/games to do during the week and then give her her final "test" on Thursday or Friday.

Our days are not long, but I focus first on the reading, L. Arts, and math because in our state those are the big ones that you must master (and I include spelling under the LA needs). Science, social studies, etc. doesn't have to be an every day thing.

dakotamom is offline Member

Ruth, thank you for the Duolingo suggestion. I am going to check it out! I have kids that want to learn languages and I would have no idea how to start. Much appreciated.