Another Newbie :-)
    JenniR is offline Junior Member

Default Another Newbie :-)

Hi all at T4L,

I have been wanting to try out T4L for months now and finally we are able to start using the curriculum and I can't wait to get started!

I have been homeschooling my boys ages 10 and 12 for almost 2 years. We have mostly unschooled for that time, but the boys feel ready to do some academic work and I'm thrilled. I am also working part-time, so it will be a relief not to spend hours on researching materials for the kids interests.

Not sure about placement, my oldest would be in Grade 7 and my youngest in Grade 4 if they were in school. I'm going to sign up for the Trial version on Monday and play around, probably a Grade or 2 lower as they haven't done much academic work up till now.

Do I start with quizzes in that Grade, or lower?

Many thanks and looking forward to getting to know you all!

Warm Regards

Jenni in South Africa

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Another Newbie :-)

Hi there, Jenni; welcome to T4L! If you are going to be using the quizzes as a placement tool, I'd start with the lower levels (possibly 2 lower if that's the amount you think they might need) and go up from there. It feels better to do well and progress quicckly rather than to attempt something unfamiliar and need to go backward at the beginning, especially for a child. Notice too, that I am calling them "levels" instead of "grades." The wise T4L sages have mentioned that in the past and I think it's a great tool. The learning standards (order of teaching different concepts, etc) may be different there than they are in the US, so you may have to tinker around a bit anyway.
    Melissa.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

melissa got your question answered ... but i just wanted to say welcome to the board!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Thank you so much Jess & Melissa, that makes so much sense.

I can't wait to get started!

Jenni

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jenni! Welcome to the forum!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you Kelly

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

This is my very first post on the new forum. Welcome JenniR.

And hello to all my friends. Any thoughts on the new forum? Personally, I'm very impressed but still a little disoriented.
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members

Thank you John!

I really like the new forum, it has a lovely look and feel and easy to navigate.

I can't wait to get started with T4L which should hopefully be happening soon with my first paycheck!