Another passer by with questions
    shmoomama is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Another passer by with questions

Hi all! I am hoping you guys can give me some insight as I look to further improve my daughter's schooling experience.

Shmoo, age soon to be 6, is gifted. I don't mean that in an AIG pull- out-program "my kid is smart" kind of way, but in a she is wired veeerrrry differently and some days I think I might give up a kidney for a smart kid kind of way.

I can't put her in a curriculum. It's not about the level being high enough or the learning being self-paced. I would definately give a kidney if it were that simple. What she needs is total flexibility. She isn't just in different grade levels for different subjects, she is also in multiple grade levels for certain subjects.

We have only officially accelerated Shmoo 2 years so that certain social programs will be a better match for her and to account for asychronous development. I would like to spend less time worrying about filling in gaps for EOG's without boring her to tears and more time on her actual education.

In using this program, would I have to assign her a grade level which she would have to work through before gaining access to higher level matierial? Could she practice her multiplication tables, then go do some "fun" pre-algebra stuff if she wanted to? Could I pick lessons from different grade levels to correlate with what she is doing in the course of her regular studies?

We were both VERY impressed with the sample lessons, and feel this program could be a good resource IF there is enough flexibility.

Thank you for your input.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

She would have access to the activities one level ABOVE her assigned grade level and one level BELOW her assigned grade level. For example, if you register her for second grade, she will also have access to the first grade materials and the third grade materials.

When registering, you may choose to place her in different levels for math and language arts.

You may email Time4Learning at any time to have her assigned grade level adjusted. (This may not take effect until the following day.)

Students do not have to complete all of the activities on one level before proceeding to the next level. Some parents choose to have their student do tests first. If the test shows the student has already mastered that material, the student does not do the lesson activities for that section.

Lesson activities do not have to be completed in any certain order.

You may be interested in this material:

http://www.time4learning.com/gifted/gifted-child.htm

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Ok, thanks. It is SO much better to know this stuff upfront!

Hmmmm.......Might still be do-able with some tweaking, knowing exactly what is covered in each lesson plan, and keeping on top of emailing the company to change grade levels from 4th to 7th and vice versa whenever we need to. That should give her access to the material she needs to practice for her 3rd grade EOG's, access to material up to 5th grade, and the option for higher level unit studies should she so choose. She just won't be able to do it all at the same time. Since we never envisioned this to take the place of her regular studies, I don't see that as a big problem.

The easy way, if I had $$$ to throw around, would be to sign her up as 2 kids, which wouldn't be too far from the truth

Before I decide to sign up for the trial offer, it would be really helpful to know how levels are assigned for history and science. Does history correlate to LA grade level and science to math?

Thanks again for all your help!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

A student's language arts level is generally used for science and social studies placement. This is just a guideline. A parent is always free to specify placement level.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Fantastic!!!!

Thanks again for all the help. It means so much to get feedback from folks who are using the program!

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    She would have access to the activities one level ABOVE her assigned grade level and one level BELOW her assigned grade level. For example, if you register her for second grade, she will also have access to the first grade materials and the third grade materials.

You may email Time4Learning at any time to have her assigned grade level adjusted. (This may not take effect until the following day.)
    Time4Learning has just updated the hints page explaining how to adjust educational levels yourself. Or to contact us to make a more dramatic or permanent change.

Take a look:
    http://www.time4learning.com/hints/hint ... evel.shtml

In the same vein, another hint that we recently clarified is how to use the lesson plans to locate specific lessons that you could then put in the activity finder.
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members

My daughter loves the way she can change the levels herself to find topics that interest her. This is turning out to be one GREAT enrichment resource!!!!