Another Question
    dbmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Another Question

First, Kelly, thanks so much for answering my other questions.

My new question is how long does it typically take for a child to do his/her daily lessons? We will theoretically have three children using this, they will be sharing one computer (which they also share with me). Is this even practical? I've read some posts that state the children work for only an hour, but I've read other posts that sound as if they are working for longer periods.

Thanks again.

Sara

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Sara, it varies so much that it's almost impossible to guess. We do have families with four children who all share one computer. Two of your children are very young and could easily get by with an hour of Time4Learning per day.

One way to use Time4Learning is to require your student to work a certain amount of TIME on each lesson, rather than require a certain amount of material to be covered. There is a timer built in to the program for this purpose. If your student is working half an hour per subject on all four subjects, then you know he will need to devote two hours to lesson time (plus whatever amount of time you decide to allow for games between lessons). Used this way, a student may complete more or less than a grade level during a year. (You may set the time for whatever amount of time seems appropriate for your situation.)

Another way to use Time4Learning is to access the Lesson Plans. Divide the number of lesson activities in each subject by the number of school days in your year. This tells you how many lesson activities a student needs to complete to finish a grade level during the school year. Used this way, it is more difficult to determine how much time will be required.

Considering the ages of your children, I wouldn't invest in another computer specifically because of Time4Learning. Parents are usually surprised at how little time is required and "Am I doing enough?" is a typical question.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Sara, (me again )

I have 4 sons who share one computer. It works fine though now that we have used it for 6mos we are considering purchasing another computer. (laptop)

We also sometimes go to the library and have all four working at the same time. (you don't have to, but it changes things up and keeps it exciting)

Hope this helps!
    Mary

While one is working the other is doing their chores or practicing their handwriting or sometimes simply playing outside until I call them.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Mary. Yours is the family I had in mind when I posted.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    Thanks, Mary. Yours is the family I had in mind when I posted.
    LOL, I got excited thinking there must be another family of four sharing one computer. Sheesh, we have to get with the times!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

Glad you asked this question! We have 4 children and I homeschool the neighbor, so I wondered if it was even possible to try to share one computer.

I had thought of going to the library where they can have at least 45 min of worktime, depending on computer availability.

Is 2 hours a day for a student an accurate estimate? I would have a 7th grader, 5th grader, 4th grade, 3rd and a first grader.

Thanks, Jennifer
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

Blog Entries

Jennifer, If I had to nutshell it I would say that's about right for the older children.