Before we join I have a few questions
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Before we join I have a few questions

gmfamily is offline Junior Member

Default Before we join I have a few questions

1. Can the student do more than 1 lesson a day?
    2. Can the student (if they are allowed to do more than 1 lesson (in a subject per day, could they essentially go through more than 1 grade a year?

2 of my kids are behind and I want them to be able to catch up to their grade level.

Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! The answer to both of your questions is "yes". Since Time4Learning is not a school (it is a homeshool curriculum), the parent is the teacher of record and makes all decisions regarding what grade level the student uses in each subject, scheduling, and so forth.

One way students can "catch up" quickly is to take the chapter test first. If they score well on the test, they do not do the lessons in the chapter. If they do not score well on the test, they do the lessons in the chapter and try the test again. In this way, students are only studying material they do not already know.

It's important to know that, in homeschooling, the parent is the teacher of record and is responsible for following the homeschool laws in their own state. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum.

Many people mistakenly call enrollment in an online school "homeschooling", because the work is done at home. That isn't technically correct, though. In an online school, another person (or people) oversees your student's education and the school is responsible for following the school laws in the school's state.

If you understand the difference between an online school and a homeschool curriculum, you will understand that we provide the curriculum and you use it your way! Students can work at a different grade level for each grade, skip lessons, do lessons out of sequence, repeat lessons, skip grade levels, or use the curriculum any way you decide is best for them. We do encourage you to follow the homeschool laws in your state.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

gmfamily is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Hi! The answer to both of your questions is "yes". Since Time4Learning is not a school (it is a homeshool curriculum), the parent is the teacher of record and makes all decisions regarding what grade level the student uses in each subject, scheduling, and so forth.

One way students can "catch up" quickly is to take the chapter test first. If they score well on the test, they do not do the lessons in the chapter. If they do not score well on the test, they do the lessons in the chapter and try the test again. In this way, students are only studying material they do not already know.

It's important to know that, in homeschooling, the parent is the teacher of record and is responsible for following the homeschool laws in their own state. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum.

Many people mistakenly call enrollment in an online school "homeschooling", because the work is done at home. That isn't technically correct, though. In an online school, another person (or people) oversees your student's education and the school is responsible for following the school laws in the school's state.

If you understand the difference between an online school and a homeschool curriculum, you will understand that we provide the curriculum and you use it your way! Students can work at a different grade level for each grade, skip lessons, do lessons out of sequence, repeat lessons, skip grade levels, or use the curriculum any way you decide is best for them. We do encourage you to follow the homeschool laws in your state.
    Thanks for your response. Did you create time4learing?

Deepika is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have a question. Say a high school junior wants to get homeschooled, and half the year has already passed, can already earned credits be 'transferred' and will the student have to start the year afresh?
    On this site, can you pick and choose the topics from the courses you want to learn or is it mandatory that all of them are done?

Thanks,
    Deepika

Blog Entries

Hi, Deepika! Time4Learning isn't a school. It's a homeschool curriculum that is provided for the homeschooling parent to use as they wish. The homeschooling parent decides what parts of the curriculum to use (usually with input from their high school student).

All fifty states allow a homeschooling parent to issue a homeshool diploma to their own child, and to decide what the student needs to do to earn that diploma. So, the parent would decide how to use any credits the student has already earned, as well as whether or not to award credit for part time jobs and casual instruction in life skills, such as cooking or auto mechanics.

The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeshool High School.com. They have printable diploma and transcript templates and answers to any homeschool high school question you can imagine!
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gmfamily View Post
    Thanks for your response. Did you create time4learing?

Hi, gmfamily! The curriculum used by Time4Learning was created by Compass Learning Odyssey, who only provides it to schools. I, personally, had nothing to do with it. I'm just a homeschool mom who discovered Time4Learning and started using it for my own kids back in 2006. Over the years, I've had a lot of experience using the different subjects and grade levels, so I help answer questions on this forum. Two of my kids are still using Time4Learning . . . the other four are grown.
    gmfamily likes this.

Firstgoslin is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm getting ready to sign my son up. From your stories he is similar. My sonhas Childhood Apraxia of Speech and Autism. He is capable of learning. The school says otherwise, but he learns at home. He is 12. He is in the 5th grade. Some areas he works below grade, some areas not. His teacher actually asked me to stop doing 5th grade homework with him, even though he was getting it right. The school paid for independent testing, then disagreed with the tester, and still say that he is SCD (significantly cognitively disabled).

We did some of the sample lessons on here today, and he found them interesting.

Look forward to being part of the community.

angelina21 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Im trying to learn about homeschooling. None of my children like school at all. And i want to homeschool. Is it possible to have their school asign a homeschool program? They r telling me its hard to do. And also is it expensive? I am a mom of 5.

Blog Entries

Hi, Angelina. Each state has its own homeschool laws. They are all very different.

First, it's important to understand the difference between enrolling in an online school and homeschooling. Even though it's often mistakenly called "homeschooling", if your school sets up at-home work for your student, that doesn't meet the legal definition. The student will still be a public school student.

In homeschooling, the parent directs the student's education. The parent decides what curriculum to use. Time4Learning is one homeschool curriculum to consider. The parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws in the student's state of residence.

With an online school, a third party directs the student's education. The third party decides the curriculum and is responsible for following the school laws (not homeschool laws) in the school's state.

So, your school can't "assign a homeschool curriculum". Many school districts do have their own public-school-at-home options, but you are still under the authority of the school district if you use one of these, and your student is still counted as a public school student.

While the public-school-at-home options are often free (because they are paid for with taxpayer dollars, just like any public schooling), online private schools can be several thousand dollars per year.

A homeschool curriculum, purchased for use in actual homeschooling, is very affordable. Time4Learning is 19.95/month for the first student and 14.95/month for each additional student from the same family. All books, etc. are online (there are some printable worksheets), so there is nothing else to buy.

I have found many school staff members will automatically point you in the direction of the district's own public-home-at-school option if you ask them about homeschooling. Working for the school system, they are unaware that other options exist and mistakenly call those programs "homeschooling" themselves. School staff are probably the poorest source of info on homeschooling and are often surprised to learn there are laws specifically for homeschoolers that are very different from the school laws.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions about homeschooling. You might also be interested in reading the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.
    lovehmschlg likes this.