Can I use it with a dial up connection?
    2angelwings is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Can I use it with a dial up connection?

I have a dial up connection and was wondering if it would be too slow to use Time4Learning with it before I sign up for it. Some of the sample lessons were slow to start.

Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Dialup will cause the lessons to load more slowly, but should not affect how they run once they are loaded. Manyt T4L users have dialup.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

2angelwings is offline Junior Member Newbie

Would you or anyone else be able to tell me how long it takes to complete all subjects in a day using dial up?

Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time spent on lessons varies greatly from user to user. Time4Learning does not assign a certain amount of work per day. Because the parent determines the schedule, it would be difficult to generalize.

Many users report spending two to four hours per day on lessons, but, again, there is great variation. Consider taking advantage of the risk-free two-week trial to see how Time4Learning can work for your own family.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Mommydynee is offline Junior Member Newbie

We have DSL at my shop where my dd does most of her school work. Sometimes we have to be home which we have dialup (DSL is not available). School work is so frustrating slow on dialup that we just go to the shop to do it.

Lisa333 is offline Member Regular

The question about dial-up is a big "it depends" since each location can receive a different speed of connection.

But, you can test it easily. Try running the demos on www.Time4Learning.com/demos.htm . If they load and run at an acceptable speed, the full program will act the same way.

But, if it takes forever for the lessons to load. And then "times out" with the demos. Well, you can expect the same with the full program.

Here's one hint. Sometimes, dial-up for different phone jacks in the same house get different speeds! The dial-up connection speed is set by the slowest or weakest connection in the link between your computer and the net. This might be the phone company's wires. Or it might be the wiring in your house (especailly if the inhouse wiring was a little sloppy with phone lines going right next to electrical links. If one connection in your house is too slow, before you give up, it might be worth testing other phone jacks in your house. Especially if you are going to be using dial up for years. The dial-up question is an easy one for you to test.

As a side note, I've been reading some blogs and websites focusing on the use of technology by families and parents. A few sites of note: techno parents, Net Family News, another on homeschool curricula, and Parenting in a Digital Age