Can the Kids Manipulate the program easily?
    NicoleFL is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Can the Kids Manipulate the program easily?

We are considering using T4L with our children (2 third graders, a second grader, and a KG) and are concerned as we have two children who are very manipulative in figuring out ways in which they can get around doing things. How easy is it for them to skip lessons and not complete the assignments or problems in the lessons and is there a way for the parent to know that these were not completed? How about with the tests and quizzes? Thank you for any information you can provide us!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The parent reports show the amount of time spent on each lesson, so you can question if a student is spending just two minutes on an activity. The animated lessons can't be marked as complete unless they are run through to the end, but there's nothing to guarantee your student is actually watching it. He could start the lesson running and leave. Graded assignments, tests, and quizzes will appear in the Reports with the appropriate grades. From third grade and up, a student can quickly page through any text-based lessons without doing the work but, again, the time spent in the Reports would alert you.

The short answer is that a determined student can beat ANY system. Time4Learning provides enough feedback for parents to quickly detect it, though.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

NicoleFL is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for your quick response. Yes, they are young but could manipulate any curriculum in some way I'm sure. Also, no program is going to guarantee they are actually focusing on the lesson (even if I was talking they can tune me out!). I think you answered what I was looking for though -I wanted to make sure there was some way I could verify they didn't just clicked through the lesson and not listen to it or do the examples/quiz. In short, my kiddos are ones that will have to be watched closely anyway while doing their work and I'll be there - but if I run to the bathroom and come back and they say they finished it I want to make sure they are telling the truth. sounds Like Time4Learning would work so far.....Getting closer to making a decision and so excited to get started!!!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Nicole,
    One other thing...I have allowed my child to click through, or skip a lesson all together. The way that I enforce that this cannot be done all the time is that if she skips a lesson, she must make a 90% on the quiz. She may never make less than an 80% without having to repeat ALL of the related exercises and retaking the quiz or chapter test. Their scores will tell you how they are taking in the information, or if they are just clicking through. Having to repeat all the related exercises and retaking the quiz and/or chapter tests has made my daughter pay closer attention and not click through because she has figured out that there are consequences to her actions. She is in 5th grade now. We really do enjoy T4L, and hope it will work for you and your children.

Linda
    Homeschooling 1 child for 4 years with Time4Learning!