Can't wait to join! Have questions...
    ranchgirl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Can't wait to join! Have questions...

Hello,

My name is Jennie and I have chosen to use alternative schooling for my 10 year old son. He is a very bright kid and I did not feel that the public school system was challenging him. The Math curriculum they used was not sufficient, in my opinion, and Science was very rarely done in the school. Thru 4-H and classes taught at our local engineering university, I have been supplementing him. It doesn't seem that I have found enough ways to "feed his brain". I think I have found what may work for us in Time4Learning. I believe that he could be classified as gifted, but don't believe that the public school system has brought him up to where he should be.

I am planning to use Time4learning and then supplement what I need to or not.

My questions are...

1. Is Time4learning accredited or just a curriculum?

2. What level should I start him on? His reading and Phonics skills are excellent. Math is my concern.

I am new to home schooling so, yes, I will be full of questions.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jennie. Time4Learning is a curriculum, not an accredited school. It is a curriculum that is used by accredited schools, though.

You may place your son in different levels for math, language, science and social studies. If you have an idea of his approximate abilities, choose a level for each subject and try it. The educational level can be adjusted one grade up or one grade down by the user. If it needs adjusted more than that, click on the Change Educational Level link above and request the change. It will be done within 24 hours.

Some parents have their students do just the tests and/or quizzes while attempting to place them appropriately.

You may change levels as often as it takes. Don't be concerned about placing him in a level "below" what his grade might indicate. My personal suggestion, based on experience with my own children, is to start him at a level below what you think he could actually manage. This gives him time to become accustomed to a new way of learning before the academics become too challenging. In a few months, if you decide to move him up a level, that's a morale-booster for him!

A parent also needs time to learn the ins and outs of any curriculum.

Questions are expected. We're glad to have you with us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!