Catholic

Thread: Catholic

barrymissy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Catholic

I'm looking for something similar to Time4Learning. We use teaching textbooks and love it. I have six children, aged 1-10, and constantly fall behind on grading and lesson planning.

I am a traditional Catholic, and since I have yet to find an online or cd-rom based traditional Catholic homeschool program, I m looking for something either secular that I can add Catholic teaching into, or Christian that would either not go into any non-Catholic or anti-Catholic thought/teaching. Looking over the 6th grade social studies, I have some concern on what denomination the teaching is based off.

Thank you for any thoughts!!
    I would have a 6th, 4th, 2nd and pre-K student enrolling.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome!

We've been using the program for several years now. Before starting the program, my husband and I had a huge discussion about whether we wanted to use a Christian curriculum or not ... and what the repercussions of each would be. We chose T4L because of how complete the curriculum was in the end. We add in our own religious studies, and when a world view subject comes up, we discuss what different people believe and how sensitive a subject it is, and how we feel about it. So... pretty much what we'd have to tell our kids if they were in public school, watching the Discovery channel, or even just hanging out with friends.

I hope my input helps you ... but if not, feel free to ask me more questions
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I am definitely not christian. I have found that time4learning is pretty secular for the most part. I haven't found anything that is offensive to me. We've used this for four years now and love it.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I just went and looked at the sixth grade social studies because I have not looked at it before. My son is only in fourth grade. I can see where some of the lessons could be challenging. But I really think they would be great opportunities for discussion with your children. It would be a great basis for you to talk about each of these religions and how they compare to your religion. TO me it seems like it would be a great time to teach more about Catholicism and what you believe. I'm kind of looking forward to when we get to that point.

If you are really worried about it, you could skip the sections on religion and substitute your own curriculum for that time frame.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Ok, Time4Learning is considered a secular homeschool program. We homeschool for secular reasons, so this works perfect for us. Though I hold Christian beliefs, that is not why I educate my daughter at home. Fortunately, we have plenty of opportunities to discuss our religious philosphy. I have found nothing overtly religious and so I do believe that you would be able to use T4L as your core curriculum, and suppliment with your chosen religious studies. As for the world view, well, at some point dinosaurs are discussed so I'm thinking "old earth" as opposed to "new earth". If you find a particular lesson against your beliefs then skip it, or maybe you could use it as a discussion point.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

journey00 is offline Member

Default We are Catholic Homeschoolers!

Hi, we are Catholic homeschoolers and I really love T4L for my 1st & 2nd grader. I work full-time from my home so the instant grading is invaluable to me! I also have a 6th grader signed up but she doesn't like is as much, except for the Art. She also does the Time4writing & really enjoys it.

I supplement with reading from the Baltimore Cathechism, crafts from CatholicIcing.com, religious programs for kids on EWTN, reading about the Saints. For the 6th grader we listen to Catholic Answers Radio & watch The Knights of St. Michael on EWTN, and watch Catholic DVD's. And of course, we practice our faith in our daily lives.

I have found that T4L really meets our needs, the kids have fun, we can go at our own pace & schedule, I LOVE that we can do it from anywhere --including from my Kindle Fire!

UPDATE 8-12-12: With that said, I will warn you that in the 6th grade Science portion it talks about Galileo and the Catholic Church. I did take this as a teaching opportunity into our Catholic faith & we discussed it in great detail. We decided to go a different route for my 12 yr old but my 7 & 8 yr old are doing great with T4L. It really has saved my homeschool! Good luck to you.
    Last edited by journey00; 08-13-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: update