Confused, terrified, sad...7th grade son hates school
    dstovall is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Confused, terrified, sad...7th grade son hates school

My son is in the seventh grade. He is passing all of his courses. Scottish Rite diagnosed him with Dyslexia and an Anxiety Disorder in the third grade. He recently was diagnosed with mild Aspergers. He hates school. He begs me daily to homeschool him because he hates the teachers yelling. He has stomach aches that begin at night and continue into the morning. He has stopped eating breakfast for fear of getting sick. I'm scared because we own our own business and I am super busy during the day but I do work from home. It is breaking my heart every day that I send him to school BUT I am terrified that I will fail him. I graduated from The University of Texas at Dallas so I am educated but terrified. Can someone let me know if this program is easy, dyslexia friendly and mommy friendly? I have no idea what I am doing to the inside of his body putting him through the stress of school. I love my son and it is breaking my heart not knowing which path I should take.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Dstovall, hugs to you! I hear your pain and certainly understand your feelings of fear. My DD is 14 and has ADHD, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, and CAPD. Time4Learning works great for her. School caused her to have panic attacks. At his age, he can do much of his lessons independently. You will NOT fail him. He needs a break and to be able to work at his own pace. T4L will allow him to do just that. He will also have access to grades 6, 7, and 8 if you place him at grade 7 because you are allowed access to the grade above and the grade below where you are placed. This works great for those who might be ahead in one subject, but behind in another.

Try some of the demo lessons with your son. Also, they offer a free 2 week trial to test drive the program.

Here are some links to help you understand the program and use it to your best advantage:

Hints and Help

Getting Started with Time4Learning

How to Homeschool ( a super e-book for families new to homeschooling)

Texas is a super state for homeschooling. Check out the Texas state forum.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

dstovall is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much for your reply. This is super scary but I will do anything for my son. I just don't want to let him down. I am going to talk to him this afternoon and let him know that I have decided to homeschool him. I can't wait to see the expression on his face when I tell him.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

It is very exciting to see that you have made the decision to homeschool. Remember that nothing is forever. If you pull him from school, and you work with him for the rest of the school year, and into the summer, and it is a family decision that he go back to public school next year, then you can do that. If you decide to continue to homeschool him, that is also great. Try to find local support groups so that he will have access to field trips, and other homeschooling activities and so that you can have a support group for those days when you ask, "Why am I beating my head against this wall again?" Just remember that most people have fewer and fewer of those "beating the head against the wall" days as they grow in the homeschooling experience.
    Also, don't forget to allow him a period to deprogram from the way he was learning and being taught in public school. This is a transitional time and you really can't rush that transition. For some kids it is an easy time, for others, no matter how badly they wanted to be homeschooled, it is a little more difficult.
    Best of luck!
    "
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

blueheron is offline Junior Member Newbie

I so relate, ((((Dstovall)))). Doing the research myself right now, too. I have homeschooled my older child a few years ago (she's in a public high school now, high honors!) while I held at least two full time jobs , and it wasn't that hard with all the online programs available, just adding in what I call "the fun stuff" -- sports, dance, arts, music, etc.

My 12-year-old son was diagnosed this year with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome, but he's been home with me for the past two week, and his stomach has been FINE. I just don't want to send him back. Obviously, this is a great forum with a lot of answers. Thanks for posting your concerns, it helps me to realize that I'm not alone.
    Bridget

mommaannie is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have been where you are and I understand your pain and his. My daughter is now in seventh grade but I have been homeschooling her now for the past year and a half. She suffers from ADHD and Anxiety Disorder as well. She was taking multiple medications just for stress, anxiety, etc. It was so bad that she would get sick and continuously vomit, she too would not eat out of fear of getting sick. She was missing multiple days of school in a week and when she did go, I felt sick inside because I knew how painful it was for her. To top that off she had become a constant victim of bullies on the few days she could make it to school. I tried everything! I even switched schools and tried a Charter School. I knew that she was only going to fall behind or in the cracks and the longer I kept her there the worse off it would be for her.
    She was thrilled when I told her she would be home schooled! I suffered tremendously in school, my parents didn't believe in such a thing as "ADHD" or "ADD" and I know how painful that was. I knew what would work for my daughter and ways to get her thinking and keep her thinking. I was scared too like you! I am a single mom with zero family around us and I wondered how I would do it. But it just all fell into place, it was so wonderful to see my daughter awake in the morning and not get sick, to see her willingness and eagerness to learn. We both have gained so much from the home school experience. I love that I am such a big part of her education and I know that she is she is happy and healthy now, in and out!
    My advice to you is, take a deep breath and take one day at a time, before you know it you will wondering why you where so nervous. I have spoken to more and more people now that have such positive things to say about home schooling their kids. Make it fun too! We have a schedule we like to follow, such as break times and such. I also put a desk next to mine in my home office, so that way I am there to be a part of it or when she gets stuck or off track. On sunny days we work outside and you too can find little things to change it up a bit and I bet you will both be thrilled! I have a son who attends a public High School as well and he is on the Honor Roll.
    Hang in there and good luck! No matter what anyone tells you, you know your son better than anyone else! You both will do great and feel 100% better in and out!

leasa22 is offline Junior Member

I hear you!~ I just pulled my 8th grader from p/s. I just could not stand to see the depression in his face anymore. We just joined this group today I'm really hoping he likes the time4learning so we can get through until the end of May. it is the hardest thing to send your child to school crying.

I would be interested to hear from other parents with 8th graders using time4.

good luck

RhoyaleAngel22 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dstovall View Post
    My son is in the seventh grade. He is passing all of his courses. Scottish Rite diagnosed him with Dyslexia and an Anxiety Disorder in the third grade. He recently was diagnosed with mild Aspergers. He hates school. He begs me daily to homeschool him because he hates the teachers yelling. He has stomach aches that begin at night and continue into the morning. He has stopped eating breakfast for fear of getting sick. I'm scared because we own our own business and I am super busy during the day but I do work from home. It is breaking my heart every day that I send him to school BUT I am terrified that I will fail him. I graduated from The University of Texas at Dallas so I am educated but terrified. Can someone let me know if this program is easy, dyslexia friendly and mommy friendly? I have no idea what I am doing to the inside of his body putting him through the stress of school. I love my son and it is breaking my heart not knowing which path I should take.

Hi!!! I would love to talk with you. I too am a business owner and I have a 7th grader myself. She was diagnosed with a ADHD and a behavioral disorder that causes her to get very angry and lash out at people without any self control.

I would love to talk with you and give you some tips that have definitely help me with my daughter. It has been QUITE a journey for the both of us but because of homeschooling she and I are much closer than I thought we would EVER be!

I can be reached at 704-759-6561. Would love to hear from you!!!

P.S. If there is ANY other parent that would like to contact me, I would love to hear from you too!!!!

Gretchen Howard, owner
    Small Barks
    Welcome to Small Barks!!!!

littlemisschic is offline Junior Member

Hi,
    It is very comendable to have gone through the agonising experiance of seeing your son so unhappy he is making himself sick! No child should be put in that possition alothough the decision you have made must of been extremely tough! Your son sounds like a little soilder and very head strong when it comes to making decisions and knowing what he wants... which is an amazing attribute to have at such a young age. I think he will excell at home-schooling as will you!
    You should definately look into this shouting allegation though, teachers are supposed to adapt to kids who might need extra help or have a hard time with a classroom enviroment. she should be made aware that by not doing this she caused your son deep distress!
    Also the local schools can provide you with some help in the home schooling process to help both you and your son make the transition as simple as possible. I hope you both do well and to have an update from you soon.

Hugs,
    Shawna