Considering home school with special education child
    Sherrie Johnson is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Considering home school with special education child

Hello. I have a 14 year old daughter who was being bullied in public school. She is now doing online school but it is not adapted and it's like I am in school and she is learning nothing. She would be in adapted and life skill classes if she still went to public school. Is this a good program to use for her? I am not sure on doing lesson plans and paperwork is why I was looking into this. After spending 8 hours doing her cyber school it is hard to try and get her to want to do additional work at her own level. With this program could I have her do say second grade math? She was still doing addition and starting subtraction of small numbers in public school? With cyber school it's fractions, algebra and so on. It is way to hard for her. She is doing better with reading since she has been home with me for a year now. Before that she couldn't read but for the sight words they taught her. We have been working on sounding things out. Sorry for this being so long. Thanks in advance for your help. Hope Y'all have a wonderful day.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, Sherri.
    I'm sorry about the bullying your daughter experienced in school. It seems like more and more families are choosing to homeschool because of this. Especially children with special needs. I think you daughter will show great progress being homeschooled because she'll recieve 1-1 attention, in addition to being in a safe and peaceful environment. Like you mentioned about her reading....that's wonderful! And that's a result of working with her one on one. Tha alone will open so many doors for her, not just academically, but in life. When my daughter was around 6, I was told by 'professionals' that she would only be able to sight read. Well, she's an avid reader and ha exceeded their expectations.

We've homeschooled our 3 youngest children since the beginning. One of our daughters has a learning disability. She's 17, but she's doing 1st grade math and 4th grade in the other subjects. And this is one of the reasons we're so happy with Time4Learning. She's able to work at her own pace and in her own grade level for different subjects. She also enjoys the lessons, which results in her showing progress. I also like that it relieves me from some administrative work like planning lessons, for the most part. This gives me more quality time with all my kids. The progress reports also make record keeping easier.

Sherri, with T4L your daughter will have access to a grade level above the grade of your choice, and a grade level below for each respective subject. So say you choose 2nd grade math. You will then have access to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade math. And if at any time you find you'd like to adjust the grade level, you can make the change at any time right from your parent admin page.

If you have any questions about Time4learning or homeschooling, please don't hesitate to ask them here in the forums. There is also a special needs forum: Special Needs

I look forward to seeing you around the forums, Sherri.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass