Considering Homeschooling
    Chrismis79 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Considering Homeschooling

My son will be 12 in February, he is in public school currently in the 5th grade. He has always struggled in school. Mainly in reading but now writing as well. He is on a 4th grade lvl now in reading. He excels in Math however. I work full-time, but I'm a nurse working 3-4, 12hr NIGHT shifts/wk (not to mention trying to start a home based biz!). My son also has ADHD. He has started getting bullied at school and has asked for many yrs to do homeschooling. I haven't because I work full-time and just didn't think it was possible. I am a single mom also with little support and no working relationship with his father. I feel in my heart homeschooling would be the best for him so I'm doing my research and if it truly just takes a few hours per day and much of it is independent I think it could be done. He is a night owl like me so we could do his work late evenings/night when I'm off. I'm not worried about socializing, he plays sports and in scouting and youth group. I would also look into music or art lessons maybe. I had considered the online public school option bc I thought it would be less demand on me since they have a teacher, but sounds like a lot of busy work and I don't like the regimented schedule.
    My concerns right now are:
    Given what I have said, do you think it is feasible for me to homeschool successfully?
    How much time per week will I need to make myself available to him for school?
    How much can he just sit and do on his own?
    Does it truly cost only 20$/mo for this program or are there other costs as well? Is there a lot of extra supplies and books that you have to buy, or is everything available mainly online?
    Christine

angeleyes1307 is offline Member

If you choose to add the time4writing or time4art programs, those have an additional cost. Otherwise a fairly solid (I hate to use the word core anymore so) base curriculum, complete with tracking and reports with no additional costs (unless you print a lot of worksheets and such, enough to have a paper/ink cost worth tracking).
    Adding sports and youth groups as well as some kind of music/art would certainly round it out nicely. My local children's museum has memberships that are very nice since my son's thing is science.

My personal experience says anybody can do this who really wants to:
    I work during the day and my husband can stay home, while avoiding too many details just know that I am the adult mostly responsible for the school. I leave a set of "assignments" for the day and after dinner I help with anything he had a hard time with or was unable to finish. (In addition to T4L he has a daily chore he needs to do as well) My son is very self-directed and so enjoys the self-paced independant nature of the work. This is his first year doing it, and he is only 6, so the work is a little lighter. That said, I have an hour set aside every night for him and whatever he doesn't need for completing his work he can choose how to spend it with me.

The specific requirements for homeschooling vary by state, so make sure and check out what applies to you locally.

monnalu is offline Member

My 4th grade granddaughter is finishing up 4th grade by Christmas (she started in August). She spends a total of 4 hours a day with me in a rather structured setting as that is what works for her. She does worksheets and art with her mother in the afternoon and evening for about an hour. She could easily be done in 2 hours (finishing 4th grade in the normal school year). In homeschooling there is no time devoted to roll call, settling the class down, or waiting for everyone to finish so all can move on at the same time. The student works at his or her own pace. I homeschooled my grandson while I worked fulltime. It is possible (I am also a nurse). I see that he has been diagnosed with ADHD, but has the possiblity of Central Auditory Processing Disorder been addressed. Many times that is misdiagnosed as ADHD. It could explain some of his reading and writing issues as dysgraphia often goes hand in had with CAPD. Good luck. My granddaughter loves homeschooling as she has CAPD and I can teach to her needs and limitations. BTW, she also studies Latin--this is her second year.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Christine.

I've worked on and off throughout our 14 years of homeschooling. It's definitely doable. I've only learned that I need to be more disciplined. I truly appreciate the Progress Reports that Time4Learning provides. It makes record-keeping so much easier and helps me keep my kids accountable with their school work.

Yes, 19.95/month is the only cost for the 4 subjects. Isn't that a great deal?! And it's a month to month subscription. So if it doesn't work out for your son, you can cancel at any time.....but we love it.

Time4Writing is separate and a different website from Time4Learning.

As for the Time4Art, a student must be a member of Time4Learning for one month before the art program may be activated. T4L wants new students to focus on the core curriculum, such as Language Arts and Math, and master the mechanics of the online program before including art. Once activated, the art program will be available for six months, as long as your Time4Learning account is active. At the end of six months, a one-year extension may be purchased for $10/year.

Have you seen the T4L Parent Forum for working parents? I've added the link to all the different forums here. You can find a forum for your state, too.

I also want to share this free Guide to Homeschooling, which was written by some veteran homeschooling moms who are members of T4L.

Hope to see you around the forums.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

debijr is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am looking into home schooling my daughter as she is struggling in school. She was assessed with CAPD 2 yrs ago but was not "eligible" for additional help through the schools until this year. It has been difficult for her. She has coped but her confidence has dropped due to her frustrations of not learning like the other kids and feeling like the "dumb" kid in her class. She is eager to learn and loves people, but now is starting to have some struggles socially as well because other kids are aware that she learns "differently" and she has dealt with some teasing. I work from home and have flexibility to work with her but want to make sure she is getting the best support she can receive. Question, "could that be me?" This year she was been placed in a Special Learning program 2 hrs of her 7 hr school day. This has helped dramatically, but their are still the social issues she faces daily that are difficult. I don't want her to lose the confidence she has gained through her Special Learning teacher. Can T4L be a good fit for both of us? Give it give her the confidence that she is seeking and the same for me as her teacher? Would greatly appreciate your advice..

I guess one way to approach your quandary is to pose the question, "What is best for my son?" & then making the answer happen, no matter how impossible it may seem. I too am a single parent that home schools a son with ADHD (& autism) & have experienced extreme bullying situations. Using Time4 Learning has dramatically improved my son's self-esteem & willingness to take risks while learning; & the style of the lessons match how he best learns, visually with the assistance of technology. If you decide to home school your son, it may not be perfect at first, but saving his emotional and psychological well-being from bullies and a public school system that continues to teach through archaic methods that involves lots of "talking" instead of visual learning through technology, could be key factors in his overall well-being. Perhaps you can hire tutors to help in some subjects if you end up not being able to maintain a healthy balance between work and home schooling; be creative...there will be no perfect answer, just finding a way to meet your son's needs. The future of U.S. education is moving towards an online experience with technology; you may end up better preparing him for his future and giving him more "free" time to explore extra-curricular activities and down time to play and rest. Good luck! & remember, a Mom's intuition always knows best.

Valerie59 is offline Junior Member Newbie

My daughter (11) was bullied and asked to be home schooled. This is my fourth year.
    You need 3 to 4 hours for schooling
    T4l is $20 a month and well worth it.
    I am so glad I home school my daughter
    She is involved with outside activities and is social.
    Like I tell people being bullied at school isn't social it's torture on a child. They will withdraw from everyone at school.
    I have learned to surround my daughter with other homeschooled kids that way she is with others who are taught at home.
    Look
    For others in your area that do home school. Facebook is where I found groups in my area.
    Good luck to you and your son

lpford30 is offline Junior Member Newbie

My children have been in private school since Kindergarten and the Second Grade and I love the school. Public school has been out of the question simply because the school district in my area stinks big time. Private school costs so much and is kicking my butt. I want to homeschool my children (11 and 8). They are excited about it. My son (11 year old) is in the 5th grade and has been struggling with keeping up with the other 5th graders. He has never had an assessment done or anything like that but his teacher tells me that he may have ADHD. He does show some signs of it. My daughter (8 year old) does not show any signs of ADHD and she's been doing very well in school. I want to start homeschooling the kids because it would give them 1 on 1 with me and learn without all of the "classroom" distractions. I know others that are homeschooling and they say it was the best decision that they have made. I want to make the best decision for my kids...its their education on the line. Any one have any insight on homeschooling for me.