Considering Homeschooling for my 10th Grader
    RDishon is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Considering Homeschooling for my 10th Grader

My son is having a difficult time with bullying in public schools so I am considering homeschooling. We live in Virginia and I am having a difficult time understanding the homeschooling laws. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated since I am completely new to the idea.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Considering Homeschooling for my 10th Grader

Hi! Welcome to the Time4Learning parent forum!

I always point anyone who is homeschooling a high school student in the direction of the Let's Homeschool High School site.

All fifty states allow a parent to issue a high school diploma for their own student. Employers are not allowed to discriminate against homeschool diplomas. Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know. Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students.

When homeschooling, the parent decides what the student must do to graduate from the family's home school. The parent decides how many credits they need and in which subjects they need credit. The parent decides what equals a credit. It is common to give credit for nontraditional things. For example, most kids receive a driver's ed credit simply for obtaining their driver's license. Parents also give credit for arts and crafts, Scouts, 4H, activities in church or other organizations, piano lessons, organized sports or driveway basketball with a sibling, volunteer work or part time jobs, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics.

Just keep a calendar with big spaces and write things on the correct dates like, "Walk around the neighborhood, P.E., 3 minutes" or "Cooked family dinner, Home Ec, one hour" or "Interviewed for job at McDonalds, Life Skills, thirty minutes".

Most parents will look at other high schools' graduation requirements online and use those for inspiration. They will all be different, so knowing that someone has a high school diploma doesn't really tell you much, since no one ever asks what they had to do to receive the diploma. You can design your requirements to accommodate your child's interests and future goals.

I'm not in Virginia, but I took a peek at Virginia's homeschool laws. Here is my "experienced homeschool mom's interpreation" of what I found online. I'm not an attorney, so you will want to know and understand the laws yourself, too. You need to do three things:

1. You need to have at least a high school diploma. If you do not, you need to be able to show that you are otherwise qualified to teach your child, or that you are using a thoroughly organized curriculum.
    2. You need to file a notice with your school district superintendent that you intend to provide home instruction to your child and indicating your home instructor qualification. With the notice, you need to provide a curriculum description (which is just a list of subjects) for each child. This needs to be done every year by August 15.

You can print the curriculum info from your Time4Learning parent dasboard for this.
    If you are moving into your school district or beginning to provide home instruction after the school year has begun, you need to submit this notice “as soon as practicable.”
    Note: You do not need the superintendent’s approval to start homeschooling—you just need to file your notice.

3. Each year by August 1, you must provide to your superintendent an evaluation showing that your child has achieved an adequate level of educational growth and progress. (This does not apply if your child was 5 or younger on September 30 at the start of the school year.)
    There are four types of evaluations you can submit:

• Results of any nationally-normed standardized achievement test showing the child attained “a composite score in or above the fourth stanine” (i.e., 23rd percentile)—this could be an ACT, SAT, or PSAT score;
    • An evaluation letter from a person licensed to teach in any state, or a person with a master’s degree or higher in an academic discipline, who knows about the child’s academic progress, stating that the child is achieving an adequate level of educational growth and progress;
    • A report card or transcript from a community college or college, college distance learning program, or home-education correspondence school; or
    • Another type of “evaluation or assessment which the division superintendent determines to indicate that the child is achieving an adequate level of educational growth and progress.” (If you plan to submit this type of assessment, you should discuss this with the school system early in the school year.)

I hope this helps get you started until someone who is homeschooling from Virginia comes along to provide advice based on their experience in your state. Until then, you might also be interested in this page about Using Time4Learning to Homeschool in Virginia.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!