considering joining, question about supplementing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

Default considering joining, question about supplementing

Hi,

We are considering using T4L as soon as we get our income tax refund.

We have been homeschooling for about 7 years. I have used many different programs: Weaver, Five in a Row, Sonlight, to name a few for you curriculum junkies!

I actually attempted to put my 3 younger kids in public school last year, because my 2nd child has learning disabilities and dyslexia, and some other issues. Long story short, that door of opportunity just slammed shut. So in a way, I am a long term homeschooler and an accidental one at the same time!

I have always been a relaxed homeschooler, but I am finding that it is not working. I always thought if I waited to teach, when I did finally teach a topic, they would learn it easily. That has not been the case. I am thinking I need to expose them to things sooner.

T4L seems like an easier way to do this for my 4 kids who are each on different levels. Plus the neighbor child, if he decides to join us for another year...

How in the world do people use T4L in addition to another curriculum?I would be very interested in hearing about those experiences.

Thanks in advance, Jennifer
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

Jennifer,

Obviously each family's experience is going to be different. However I'm happy to share how we do use T4L.

- Math - use it as our core. I supplement with lots of problem solving materials and math club

- history - use it as our core coupled with TruthQuest and lots of books. For example, we're just now starting 1800-1865 time period. T4L is flying through the topics much too quickly for my taste. We used to use Sonlight and the thought of spending just a few days on the Louisiana Purchase just doesn't seem right. So we fill it out with TruthQuest (which also asks some wonderful questions and provides a worldview that matches our own) and lots of literature.

Having said that, this is the first time in 8 years of homeschooling that I have actually been fairly on schedule with our history. I mean, I'm only about a 1.5 weeks off which in my book, is amazing! I'm normally six to twelve months off! LOL So T4L has provided some wonderful structure and consistency for us. Yeah!

- Language Arts/reading. We use T4L's language arts as needed. We mix it up with Total Language Plus and Progeny press literature guides along with T4L's book units. I pick and choose their vocabulary activities and grammar. Seems to provide some nice flexibility and variety. The spelling is too easy so I use another resource. I know i could go up a couple grades for spelling but it seems a bit of a hassle so this is working fine. I'm lazy...

- Science she does at her old elementary school. She takes some classes there every day (art, music, science, pe, band, orchestra and math club) and this is one of them. She could definitely be doing more in this subject but I just never seem to get around to it. We use BrainPop and CyberEd as fun supplements for science.

Hope this helps in way. I have a schedule sketched out for the year. By this i mean, by Oct 15, we'll be starting ancient Greece and doing a book study on D'Aulaire's Greek Myths. By Jan 3 we'll be at the causes of the civil war and doing Rifles for Watie. This way it's easy for me to figure out that we need to do approximately 2-3 math lessons a day and one section of history a day (with breaks so we can fill in with TruthQuest and reading). If I find we're behind too much, I have her double up or do a bit of work over the weekend. She is a fifth grader so I don't think expecting her do some school over the weekend occassionally is unreasonable. That way we stay somewhat on track.

Anyway, sorry that was so long-winded! Blessings as you research and plan,
    Adele
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by adelenpaul
    Anyway, sorry that was so long-winded! Blessings as you research and plan,
    Adele
    [email protected]
    Not long winded at all! And very helpful.
    Thanks, Jennifer

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Default Re: supplementing

Here's hoping for a great big check from Uncle Sam for you!
    We use Time4Learning as our core curriculum for math and language arts with my 6th grade son, and then we supplement for science, social studies, and handwriting. The science and social studies units in the T4L curriculum are great for turning into unit studies. There are even some suggestions for how to do that in the Teachers Guides. They are a good starting point for branching out into child-led curiosities about other subjects too. A lesson on Johnny Appleseed for instance might lead to learning about apples, which might lead to learning about worms, which might lead to learning about fishing, etc. The lessons definitely don't supply a grade's worth of material, so you have plenty of time to fill in the blanks with your own interests and studies. We also usually have an elective subject (this semester is digital photography) and some required reading time each day for nestling up with a good book or reading aloud. Anyway, this is how we work things out. Hope you can come up with just what works for your family. Happy Time4Learning!!

Kerry
    Homeschooling in NC since 1999
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/

Default Re: supplementing

Quote Originally Posted by ergon4
    Here's hoping for a great big check from Uncle Sam for you!

The lessons definitely don't supply a grade's worth of material, so you have plenty of time to fill in the blanks with your own interests and studies.
    Thank you for the happy refund check wishes!!!!

So you don't find that the social studies and sci are complete? I hope they do, in case I don't get around to supplementing. OR if the material I have, which is elementary level World History doesn't correlate to the Social studies they are doing for t4l. Or maybe it doesn't matter that it doesn't match....

thanks, Jennifer

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

We don't use the science so I can't speak to that. However the social studies certainly covers a lot during the school year (we're doing 5th grade so perhaps it's different for the lower level). It is more of an interactive textbook online (again for the upper level) and as with many textbooks, they just don't go into too much depth for many subjects. For example the Louisiana Purchase in the 5th grade social studies has two learning activities for this topic. That provides a good foundation and a broad overview but we definitely like to go into more depth. But with history that is very easy to do with library books.

I just went to the library and got a big stack of books on Benjamin Banneker, D.C., Louisiana Purchase, Lewis and Clark, Sacagewa, York.... you get the drift. So dd does her normal T4L history activities but then also reads several books covering the same topics. Or when T4L history was doing ancient Greece we were also doing a book study on Greek Myths, read lots of other books on ancient Greece, watched videos and animations from BrainPop and UnitedStreaming, built a replica of the Parthenon, etc... you get the idea. It's not difficult to supplement. It might be as simple as adding in some extra library books, having them draw some pictures and write about it. Tada! You've supplemented.

For us in the upper level, I find the social studies topics covered quite vast and broad. They don't always go very deep so that is where we supplement. Perhaps in the younger grades there isn't enough to be considered a full year. But then again, what passes for a full year of science in many 2nd grades is often quite neglible.

We have personally found it to be more than enough to get us pointed in the right direction. Sometimes we supplement, sometimes not. I don't mind her only spending a week or two on the Phoenicians. I think it's great she's getting the exposure. However for some topics of American history, we like to go deeper. Just our personal preferences. So we find there is more than enough for the 5th grade social studies. As a matter of fact, we're going to be hard pressed to get it all done this year when you add in the geography, civics, government, economics, etc...

(YMMV) Your mileage may vary, though and just our experience,
    Adele
    [email protected]

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

From third grade on, science and social studies are very complete and are aligned to state and national standards. Of course, it's always fun to do extra reading, view videos, and study subjects in depth that happen to capture your child's interest.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Sounds good to me!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Jennifer,

We've used many of the curriculum's you have! I LOVED our FIAR experience and also found I needed something that helped pull in the consistency!

Here is what our home looks like:

16- Processing issues, uses T4L'ing for remedial work and ACE for Main work.

11- T4L'ing everything
    spellingtime.com

7- T4L'ing everything
    Add ACE English - Pulls in handwriting/seatwork/Christian Content
    spellingtime.com

5- T4L'ing everything
    Add ACE English- same as above

Add on's:

My Father's World (Christian Content)
    Handwriting without tears
    Homeschool co-op
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Hey Mary, I thought MamaMary might be you!!

We got to know each other through the FIARWeighDown(btw, I am still fat, er, plus size email group. I guess I am just following you around. I almost did ACE one year, but that was the year I found out my second ds had dyslexia, so I figured ACE wasn't the way to go.

I am so stressed trying to do right by my students, I am counting the days til income tax season!!!

Jennifer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast