Considering T4L in California
    karatemomx4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Considering T4L in California

I currently have my oldest son enrolled in CAVA (California Virtual Academy). If you are not familiar with this program, it is a California Public School that he attends on-line. I found this program and it seems much more flexible and I feel that I can introduce other programs to his education more easily.

I have many questions, but to me, most importantly is, are there any families from California using this program and if so, how did you navigate the homeschooling laws? I would be interested in any and all suggestions.

Next question - this program looks wonderful for my younger students, how well do the older students do? I will have an 8th grader and a 6th grader next semester. (I also will have a 3rd grader and a 5th grader).

My older two students are in the Gate program, so is this system going to be challenging for them?

I guess I am worried about the curriculum and if it will keep them heading in the right direction with their educational goals. Also, how will this affect them if we decide to continue homeschooling through high school or if we decide to put them back into the public school system for high school. I read somewhere that T4L is considering adding on HS curriculum...is this true?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

TY in advance

Michelle

(BTW - all my kids are boys and I have my niece and nephew living with me who are 4 & 3 respectively so I think this might be a good enrichment program for them)

seashell is offline Member Regular

I hope other homeschoolers in California will respond, but my understanding is that independent homeschooling is quite easy- you establish a private school by filing a Private School Affidavit (online) once a year, which gives your name and the number of students enrolled in your school, and... that's about it. Here is a link which goes through it-

http://www.californiahomeschool.net/howTo/psa.htm

My kids are much, much younger (6 and 3), so I can't really say much about Time4Learning for older kids.

karatemomx4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for the response. I guess I am just nervous about actually taking the leap from public school to homeschool. Our first hurdle was to find the Virtual public school, but I really like the idea of being able to have the flexibility to teach my children according to what I think is best from them, not what the state is dictating and according to their interpretations of the standards.

Of course I still want my kids to learn and to receive the best possible education, I just want to have a say as to what that education is.

We are now registered and they are using T4L as a supplement to their current Public School curriculum. We will be hs'ing all of them next year.

BTW - what is the guileline (if any) for school year start and end dates, days off, etc?

Ty

seashell is offline Member Regular

So far as I know, there are no requirements imposed on private schools as to method of instruction, dates, or anything else like that. You need to keep attendance records, but not give them to anyone. Read through that link I gave, and follow the other links from there, and I think you'll find a lot clarified. Basically, independent homeschooling in California is very easy/non-intrusive.