Considering T4L - for K/1st grade DD
    DebbyJG is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Considering T4L - for K/1st grade DD

Hi!
    This is my first time posting here. I've read through most of this forum and I'm almost convinced to give this a try, but I have just a couple questions that I'm hoping someone would help me with:

First, I've played through the demo activities, but they seem to be very K or even pre-K level (of course I demo'd just the K-1 level selections). My daughter is K-age but we've been doing half K half 1st grade level with her so far this year. (Using mostly Sonlight, also a little a beka, and MUS for math.) Specifically, her math and language arts/reading is grade 1 level, but social studies and science are K level. With T4L, can I pick and choose the levels per subject as I have been doing, or do I need to pick a level all across the board? I'd be concerned, based on the demos, that the K level is way, way too easy for her, but since the demo games were limited I wouldn't want to stick her in a full grade 1 program if some of the other activities are more challenging for a K-age kid. I looked through the grade 1 scope/sequence and it appears to be about right, but since I didn't see any demos for grade 1 stuff I'm just not sure. It did seem to me that the demos offered were less challenging than other K-level things we've seen. (Please note, I'm NOT looking for hard to the point of tears work for my daughter, but it just seemed that the demos shown were stuff she was doing about two years ago, and it would BORE her.)

Second, related to these demo activities, I know this is just a small sampling, but I'm trying to see what the benefit is of using this program as opposed to, say, the Jump Start software programs (which I already have and my daughter L-O-V-E-S to play it). I'm just still a little confused, I guess, about what T4L offers other than just the Learning Activities, which from the demo seemed very similar to the Jump Start games.

I'm looking to switch my homeschool core, not just supplement, so I want to be sure T4L isn't just an online version of learning games like I already have on my computer.

I've personally LOVED Sonlight, but as the year has progressed I've discovered that, alas, my kid doesn't necessarily have the same learning style as I do. Knowing how she loves to play the Jump Start activities (ALL DAY if I would let her sit here that long), I'm thinking this format might be a better alternative for her, at least for the core. I'll still use Sonlight for Bible and for read-alouds, and I'll probably stick with MUS for math, with using this as a supplement.

I know I can just try it with the money back guarantee for two weeks, but I wouldn't want to get my daughter excited about this if we didn't stick with it. ANY advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Debby
    Homeschooling, baby-slinging, mom of three!

DD 6 Natalie - DS 3 Ethan - DD 1 Ella

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning is not a game. It is a curriculum, aligned to state and national standards, that is used in many schools. Time4Learning builds sequentially on skills learned, tests for mastery, and provides review. Time4Learning includes printable worksheets and progress reports. Many of the lessons FEEL like games, but it will quickly become apparent that it is much more than that.

You may register your student at different levels for all subjects. She will have easy access to one level above and one level below her registered level. You may request Time4Learning to change her level in one or more subjects at any time. There is no charge to make these changes.

You might want to take advantage of the risk-free trial and explore the lessons yourself, if you are concerned about your daughter not wanting to give it up after she begins. Just do not complete any of the lessons, and they will not appear on her report. Click here to learn how to avoid completing one of her lessons.

Science and social studies are offered as a free bonus. There are only a few science and social studies lessons for first and second graders (but they're GOOD! ) . From third grade on, Time4Learning's science and social studies programs are very complete.

Click here for some information about using Time4Learning WITH Sonlight.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Considering T4L - for K/1st grade DD

Quote Originally Posted by DebbyJG
    Hi!
    T
    I'm looking to switch my homeschool core, not just supplement, so I want to be sure T4L isn't just an online version of learning games like I already have on my computer.
    Hi Debby,

Welcome to the T4L'ing board. I totally understand your concern. We are finishing up our tenth year of homeschooling and I have to admit that I everytime I heard about T4L'ing I had been very hesitant because I thought it was just games and such.

I came across a friends blog and she was talking about how much she loved using T4L'ing w/ her son and her comments made me curious enough to come take a peek.

Needless to say, that was last July and here we are. I LOVE T4L'ing. My boys annual testing takes place in about 3 weeks and I am curious and excited to see how they did this year compared to previous ones. T4L'ing just seems to meet them at their learning level in a way reading aloud didn't.

Last year we used WinterPromise for Science along w/ T4L'ing for math and LA. This year we are just starting Heart of Dakota for science/hx/bible and T4L'ing for Math and LA.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Blessings,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

DebbyJG is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you both so much for your responses! It was all very helpful. I am getting ready to close on a house in ONE WEEK (auuuggg! PACKING!!!) so I'm going to wait to sign up until I get settled in there, but I'll see you all very soon. I can't wait to try this out!

Debby
    Homeschooling, baby-slinging, mom of three!

DD 6 Natalie - DS 3 Ethan - DD 1 Ella