Considering Time4Learning and have some questions....
    Paula is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Considering Time4Learning and have some questions....

Hi. My name is Paula and I homeschool my 8yo daughter, Sera. Sera loves to play Jumpstart, ClueFinders, Reader Rabbit, and anything else like that we can find. Every day she starts her day out with something like that then has to do her workbooks. She asks me every day, "Can I just do my computer today?" That is what got me started looking at Time4Learning. She has looked at the sample lessons and loved them. I'm seriously considering letting her use this for her core curriculum. Here are my questions:

1. Would she always need to be on the same computer or could she use different computers at different times?

2. Is there a sort of placement test for her or would I have to decide where she would start?

I guess that's really all I wanted to know for now. I'm still giving it thought but I may go ahead and sign her up since there is a 14-day trial period. I really think she is going to like it.

Thanks!! Paula

Linn is offline Member Regular

Hi Paula and Welcome!

I will try to answer your questions.

Question 1. Would she always need to be on the same computer or could she use different computers at different times?

No, she wouldn't always have to be on the same computer. The program is web-based so your daughter could access it from ANY computer, that's connected to the internet of course. That's one of the great things about Time4Learning! My son has used different computers in our home. Sometimes he just wants a change of scenery, or environment. He has even done his lessons at his sister's house when we've gone to visit her (said he was bored, lol).

Question 2. Is there a sort of placement test for her or would I have to decide where she would start?

I don't believe there is a placement test but, I haven't really checked into it. If there isn't a test, then yes, you would have to decide where she should start. If that's the case though, I have full confidence you can do that! Not to put down placement tests (if there is one) but honestly, I think that parents, especially parents who have home schooled, can probably gauge their own child's learning level as WELL as (if not better) than some test. The good news is, even if you don't get it quite right, you can always ask T4L to change levels for you. If you find the material isn't challenging enough for your daughter, move up a level. If she is struggling with it, move back a level. It is nice that we have that flexibility here at T4L.

Paula is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, Linn.

Thanks for answering my questions. You were very helpful.

Paula

MarilynM is offline Junior Member Newbie

Paula,

Your dd will love T4L if she enjoys those computer programs. While my son is special needs and 15, the common factor is that he enjoyed those same computer games.

My son has used T4L for three days and is coming to me several times per day for log-in help. He loves it! No more scratched CDs, creating a plan with various different programs, or previewing to make sure the CDs are educational!

Thumbs up from me!

lorisoard is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default We love it!

Hi, Paula. I use Time4Learning with my two daughters (13 and 10). We love it. It has made schooling so much easier because they no longer argue with me about doing the work.

You probably already have a good idea of the grade level your daughter is at, but if you estimate wrong, just email support and they will adjust for you up or down. You also have access to the year below and above, I believe in the lower elementary, so if you find the work is to easy, you just click the little number tab on the topic page (example social studies) and it will adjust for you. Very easy.

My oldest has had American History. This is about all they taught in public school, so we can adjust up or down to include Ancient history or whatever. It works very well. Also, don't be scared to skip around on the lessons if it is something she's already covered. No sense in boring her to death. That's one of the reasons we homeschool.

Good luck. I think you'll really love this program.

Lori