Curriculum Question and Grade Tracker
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg

Thread: Curriculum Question and Grade Tracker

Thinkingaboutit is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Curriculum Question and Grade Tracker

We home schooled several years back. Now my children are seriously asking us to reconsider Public School and home school them again. I'm torn. We are in a fantastic area with awesome schools, however it has always been on my heart to home School again, for many reasons (some selfish on my part but mostly because I want them to have the advantages and learning experiences that I know they will not get in a PS setting.

The Curriculum Question: Can this be used as a full curriculum for any grade, Ex: my children are 3rd and 5th at the moment. Of course there are some subjects I would supplements (Foreign Language, Bible, etc) But for the rest, is this a complete enough curriculum that they can use this ?

2 What are you using to track grades. I believe in the past we used something similar to Homeschool Tracker, but I can not remember the name of it. (I KNOW it was not the actual Homeschool Tracker).
    What is the best out there to use and How hard is it to keep up with things like Transcripts as they enter high school?

We have a amount of Homeschoolers in our area, and there is LOTS of support out there, I am just "feeling" this out at the moment. It is something that when I think about it, my heart beats fast and I get excited at all the possibilities.

Also, One last question:
    How is the preschool option on here? We have a almost 4 year old as well. Is it worth paying the extra amount of money per month, or are we better off just doing fun workbooks and learning video's and the basics (writing, reading, etc).

Thank you.
    *Very concerned, and loving the possibility of doing this again, parent!"

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello and welcome to the Time4Learning forum!

It can be so exciting just thinking about homeschooling! There are so many wonderful reasons to homeschool. I'm certain that our family would still choose to homeschool even if we had excellent schools in our area. As a matter of fact, when we started 13 years ago, our elementary school was excellent (may still be). Our oldest had attended the same elementary school and we liked it. But we had just come to a point where, like you say, it was in our hearts to homeschool and that's what we chose to do with our 3 younger kids. And we haven't looked back once. Best choice we've ever made.

To answer your first question, Math and language arts lessons are correlated to state standards. Science, social studies and art are also provided as a bonus to most grades. The art course is offered to 4th through 8th grade students of T4L after completing their first month of membership.Some homeschool families choose to use Time4Learning as their core curriculum; others use it as a supplement.

To answer your second question, Time4Learning has a reports section that provides progress reports regarding lessons, activities, and assessment scores. It also tracks student usage by date. Parents can log in and review the reports at any time. The tests and progress reports are printable so parents can track progress and, if desired, include reports in portfolios. See How do I track my child's progress? option in the Getting Started Guide for a visual explanation of the progress reports. It is recommended that parents print their progress reports and review them with their student once a week.

Your question about the preschool option is hard to answer because it's subjective. I can tell you our experience. Our daughter enjoyed doing the preschool when we started withT4L because she felt like she was 'doing school' like her big sister and brother. So her time on T4L was her "school time". It also freed me up each time she did T4L to either help her sister and brother, or to get some of my own work/chores done. So for our family, it was well worth it. Of course, we also did and do a lot of reading and hands-on activities in addition to copywork. My kids also like to watch educational movies or documentaries.

Best wishes and I look forward to maybe seeing you around the T4L forum again.
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

margmike is offline Junior Member Newbie

So is math and language arts the only two subjects that are correlated to state standards? Do Science and Soc. Studies need to be supplemented?

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Language Arts and Math are the only two subjects that correlate to state standards (and in some cases are above state standards) at the elementary level. Depending on what's required in your state, for example state history, you would need to supplement.

Time4Learning does offer a middle school science that your elementary students can have access to. The middle school science starts at 6th grade level and does correlate to state standards. Like I said, your children can have access to it.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 01-23-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass