Do you have to home school year round?
    BranStac is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Do you have to home school year round?

I have been homeschooling my daughter from K4, and she is now entering 5th grade. We have never went all year, and I really don't think I want to do that. We enjoy our summers off. Do you have to do this all year long or can you just do it the normal amount of time required?

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We go year round. We live in Florida, and the summers are so miserably hot here, and then it storms. The first year we took the summer off and with the weather being so fickle, I realized we were just sitting inside doing "nothing" anyway. So, now we go year round. We only go 4 days a week, and take other breaks as needed (illness, holidays, weeks where your schedule just goes out the window... etc). There are times during the year when we slow down to a crawl (like maybe just a little writing and bible studies), usually from Thanksgiving to New Year's ... and then usually again in March when the weather is so nice But we never completely stop. For my kids, I think having the routine is really helpful for them ... if we stray too far, they start to get all wonky

I think in the end, we actually "attend" classes about the same amount of days as the suggested public school students do. Maybe 15 or 20 more days by the end of the year - so nothing major. We just have a different "break" schedule. But again ... you have to do what works for you.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

YCA generally explains how we do it. Works well.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We generally go year round, but not as voracious in the summer. Working year round keeps my DD up on what she is learning rather than learning it for a specific time and then forgetting it. The beauty of homeschooling is that you set the pace. You are in control! Do what works for your child.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We usually go year round. But this year my son has friends in the neighborhood. Once he figured out that they don't go to school in the summer, that kind of ended our having school in the summer. Today is the first day we have worked on school work since June.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

We pretty much do like the other ladies here described. We go all year, but we don't go to school 5 days a week, or 4 weeks a month. We do take from around Thanksgiving to January off, and school in the hottest part of the summer, to stay in the air conditioning. You can do it however you want, the beauty of T4L and homeschooling! Stop by the Alabama state forum if you get a chance.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Sandiemac is offline Junior Member Newbie

I like the idea of homeschooling all year and maybe even taking breaks during the month! My son is autistic and there are some days that he is just unable to function with learning and I have to just let him step back and destress. Knowing that I have all year to work on it cuts back the anxiety for both of us.

Syele is offline Member

I homeschooled year round when my daughter was younger, I felt she retained information better that way. Once she got to the end of 3rd grade though, we both needed a break by summer! Now we do take summers off and she handles it fine.

The cool part of homeschooling is that you can set the schedule for what works for you and you can change your mind when you want too.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I think that one of the questions that Bran Stac may have is about paying for t4l all year round. You can put your account on vacation during the summer months. This way you only pay a much reduced rate during the months you are not using the program. Your records are all still kept and everything is in place for when you come off vacation mode.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota