Documentation needed to switch to Public Schools and/or College?
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    TDos is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Question Documentation needed to switch to Public Schools and/or College?

    If I homeschool my child beginning with Pre-K and continue to home school for several years, how would I switch my child to public school later? Does the public school system require some sort of documentation to refelct the grade level the child has completed (i.e. Time4Learning Reports)? If not, do the public schools take my word on placing the child in a specific grade level? If I continue to home school, what is needed for colleges - how do students show 12th grade is complete?

  2. #2
    hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Blog Entries


    USUALLY a public school is comfortable placing a child in the grade that corresponds to his or her age, until high school. It can be challenging to get schools to accept homeschool work for high school credit. Some schools are easier to work with than others.

    Three of my six homeschooled children have continued on to college so far. A community college is a great place to start, as your student is likely to be accepted on the basis of test scores instead of course work documentation. Once your student has completed a couple of years of community college, he can transfer to a four-year college, which probably will only be interested in his college transcripts.

    Most colleges accomodate homeschoolers these days, though. Some simply require testing, others will want you to prepare a transcript, and some may want to see your student's high school portfolio. Many GOOD colleges are actively recruiting homeschooled students.

    The best way to prepare your child for college is to make sure he/she is actually learning the material (not just "learning" it long enough to "pass a test") and that your student knows how to organize his time, access resources, and study efficiently. Keep a transcript (many samples online) and a portfolio. When the time comes, apply to colleges as though you expect to be accepted.

    Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

  3. #3
    ponywow's Avatar
    ponywow is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011


    Hi. In California anyone can file a private school affidavit with the board of education in Sacramento. A public school can accept a child with a copy of their home school records in the grade appropriate for their age. However a public school does have the right to request testing to determine the chills appropriate grade level. It does help if a homeschooler takes the GED when they are 18 as this is a recognizable highschool diploma or the California High School Proficiency Exam that is offered to people 16 and over.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts