Electronic Textbooks for High School & Other Questions
    jymarino is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Electronic Textbooks for High School & Other Questions

We are looking into curriculum for next year. I will have 7th & 10th graders. We have been using an online curriculum that uses multimedia and electronic textbooks for the learning. Does T4L use any sort of textbooks/ebooks for the courses?

In the parent account it says that the parent can preview lessons, but when my friend who is trying it out looked at her parent dashboard all she saw was the scope and sequence. She only has her student enrolled for 8th grade math, but even that did not give any information on what was actually being taught. There are printable worksheets and answer keys, but that is all.

Are the lessons, quizzes and tests graded or only the quizzes and tests?

I saw a thread that told another parent that their student could obtain a transcript of the videos. That seems kind of cumbersome, is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

jymarino

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Electronic Textbooks for High School & Other Questions

Quote Originally Posted by jymarino View Post
    Does T4L use any sort of textbooks/ebooks for the courses?
    Many of the activities are literature based, and the literature or literature excerpts are included as part of the program. Many times, there are pictures with clickable captions and words the student can click to hear pronunciation or see definitions. There aren't "textbooks", because the videotaped instructor or animated characters are taking the place of that. The instructor says what would be covered in a textbook, but most students remember things better this way.

In the parent account it says that the parent can preview lessons, but when my friend who is trying it out looked at her parent dashboard all she saw was the scope and sequence. She only has her student enrolled for 8th grade math, but even that did not give any information on what was actually being taught. There are printable worksheets and answer keys, but that is all.
    She needs to look in the left sidebar before she clicks on anything in the scope and sequence. There will be a blue rectangle labeled "Preview". Below that are grade levels. She needs to click on the grade level she wants to preview, and then select the lessons she wants to preview from the chart. She can view the entire lesson for any subject or grade level this way I(regardless of which grade level her child is currently working at). She can't preview lessons from the actual scope and sequence. She must begin with what is listed below the "Preview" rectangle.

Are the lessons, quizzes and tests graded or only the quizzes and tests?
    All of the online work is scored by the computer. If you see an "N/A" where you might expect a score to be in your child's reports, that means that activity is not scored. It is a teaching activity, not an assessment activity. It can be compared to a teacher, standing up in front of the class and explaining how to do something. Students don't receive a score for that, even if the teacher asks the class a few questions along the way to make sure everyone is understanding.

There are teaching activities (not scored), practice activities (sometimes scored), and assessment activities (always scored). There is a key in the reports that allows you to identify each type of activity by its icon.

I saw a thread that told another parent that their student could obtain a transcript of the videos. That seems kind of cumbersome, is there an easier way?
    I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you are feeling might be cumbersome. Time4Learning is an online curriculum, for students who want interactive, visual, and auditory lessons. There is not intended to be a lot of reading. However, students can click on the "T" when they are watching a video and print a transcript of just the videotaped instructor's words, if they want to do that instead of taking notes or if they would like such a thing to use as a study guide. It's quick and easy. If I'm misunderstanding what you want to accomplish, please let me know.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!