Experienced Home-Schoolers?
    DLR
    DLR is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Experienced Home-Schoolers?

Hi, I'm hoping someone can assist me with me with some advice.

I live in Colorado and elected to homeschool my triplets for Kindergarten. My concerns with the public school system are largely the same as most of you I imagine (I just can't trust the most important things in my world to a group of strangers.)

So, while homeschooling kindergarten I found I would have no support from my wife, primarily due to her own education level and also health issues. As the sole teacher I felt overwhelmed by it all. I believe that we did 'ok' but wonder if I'm doing my children a disservice by providing 'schooling by Dad' after I get home from work and on the weekends.

My concerns with the public school system are still there however, so I'm looking at Time4Learning in the hopes that it will take some of the burden off me.

Is there anyone out there in a similar situation? If so, how did Time4Learning impact you?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Dad! I started using Time4Learning during a period when I had less time to devote to homeschooling my kids (new baby, working outside the home, child with special needs). It was great to not have a stack of workbooks to grade at the end of each day. Obviously, we've stuck with it, even after the "crisis" time passed.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

PhyllisA is offline Junior Member

I am a single (divorced) parent who has homeschooled my son for nearly nine years.

I believe that Time4Learning will help ease the burden of homeschooling; however, it is not a substitute for monitoring what the children are doing on the computer. There are also worksheets to print, books to obtain from the library, and supplemental materials (minimal) to buy for experiments/projects.

I don't know what state you're in, but most don't have a set time for homeschooling. The amount of direct time you spend homeschooling a kindergartner would not be much--unless your state has a required time frame. Homeschooling can be done after work and on the weekends too. Although your wife is ill, there are Dollar store videos and Discovery Education videos that will teach your children much. You can incorporate these as part of the curriculum; these are learning activities and will help expand their knowledge base.

I began homeschooling my son when he was 6 (nearly 7), I was working from home and would often use educational videos, Time4Learning, and other activities. He is now 15, has been reading at college level since he was a 6th grader, is an independent learner, and knows how to think critically and analytically.

It can be done.

Best to you and your family.