Exploring use of T4L for 9yo BP, Dysgraphic, ADHD, 2E
    mom2jjdd is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Exploring use of T4L for 9yo BP, Dysgraphic, ADHD, 2E

I'm exploring using this to homeschool my 9yo. I just pulled him out of ps, after 1.5 years trial. I know my son will like using the computer, but I'm worried about the writing requirements. I plan to use Spell to Write and Read for spelling (he can't spell even the most basic words), but everything else I could use T4L. He reads/decodes almost on grade-level, but needs larger print, fewer words per page or he gets overwhelmed. I know I could select an easier language arts, but he's not even on the same levels within language arts. His writing is about K/1st, his reading about 2nd/3rd. He excels in history and science. Math he has some disparity, too. He understands concepts very well, but has poor math fact recall and directionality issues that slow him down, and lead to considerable frustration. If I move his language arts back too far, he'll resist out of boredom (the 2E component). I'm sure I'm not the first to have similar questions (resistance is just even more extreme with the bipolar behaviors, making it that much more important.) So, how are the disparities typically handled with LD kids?
    --Deidre

t4lwebster is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Deidre,
    First off, kudos to you for being so in-tuned with your son's needs and abilities!

Time4Learning can work really well for a child who is learning at a number of different levels. Not only can Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies be assigned at different levels if needed, within each subject the student has the option of working within three different grade levels. For instance, if he was assigned to 2nd grade Language Arts, he can do work in the 1st , 2nd and 3rd grade levels. So if you can see that he needs to be working at a first grade level in reading comprehension and a third grade level for spelling, he can absolutely do that.

The ability to custom-fit the curriculum to each student's needs is fantastic, IMHO.

Hope this has helped a bit.

Best of luck to you,

Kris C.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Time4Learning Member Support

Need help getting started? Check out our Getting Started Guide

PaulaInNoVA is offline Member

Hi Deidre! Here is a hint that I use with my dyslexic daughter (she's also 9.) With science and social studies, the evening before, I go through the next days lesson (do NOT hit the hand symbol, it will mark the lesson as completed if you do) and copy all the text to a Word document. I print them out and then, before she does the lesson online, we sit and use this as reading practice. She reads then I reread (she has almost no retention of what she reads herself at this point). After that, she goes to the computer and does the lesson. There are questions in the lessons that I haven't printed, so she has some reading online to do. There are little activity things and printables that I also don't print. But because she's already read the main text, she has been very successful with the program (I don't need to do this with math and we use a different LA program...though she often does LA on T4L anyway.) Also, whenever there's a quiz/test, she has to call me over and I stand behind her and correct her reading of the questions (she never gets them 100% right). Because of this, her knowledge of the subject isn't clouded by her inability to read well. It's making her feel very successful!

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Hi! Another mom here using T4L for a ten year old boy with dyslexia, writing, and spelling difficulties. I loved the advice about printing off the lessons using Word! Just wanted to add that the speech engine (Peedy the Parrot) can really help in making sure the lesson is read through each time also. We have Peedy read the lessons first, then we reread the parts that give my son trouble. Even in math lessons, Peedy reads each one through to give us an overall feel for the lesson. This is terrific. And in writing assignments, the Compass Writer can be an enormous help for putting together ideas for a visual learner (and poor speller). T4L has some terrific tools to help those kids struggling with these things.

Kerry in NC
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/

mom2jjdd is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default But if he's in 4th Grade LA, can he be in 2nd grade writing?

Quote Originally Posted by t4lwebster
    For instance, if he was assigned to 2nd grade Language Arts, he can do work in the 1st , 2nd and 3rd grade levels. So if you can see that he needs to be working at a first grade level in reading comprehension and a third grade level for spelling, he can absolutely do that.
    But the program is divided into K-3rd and 4th-6th. Since my son is in 4th in most subjects, but behind in some areas of LA, will he be able to cross this grade grouping according to his needs?
    --Deidre

Lisa333 is offline Member Regular

Deirdre

If you ask Time4Learning, they might be able to give you accounts in both the upper school and lower school.

Also, rather than printing out all the lessons, can't you use the teacher guides (from the parents section) to help prepare the lessons?