A Few Questions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Few Questions

jharrington is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default A Few Questions

Hello,

I have a daughter that is coming home to home school in September. She will be in 4th grade and is above in Math, though perhaps in grade 2 for reading. Can she register as a 3rd grader then do 2nd grade reading and 4th grade math? I think with intensive work her reading will come up to grade level. She has been in Japanese school thus behind.

Is there a placement test or a way to find out which level she should be at?

Also, can more that one student use the computer or does each child need to be registered? My daughter will be using the computer during the day and my son might benefit from using it after school.

Thank you,

Juli

shmoomama is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hey there. I would base her reading placement more on grammar and comprehension than I would reading skill. I remember one of the reading selections for the 4th grade LA was on about a 1st maybe 2nd grade level (Cam Jansen). The 4th grade reading selections also have a button the child can push to have the selection read to them if they want. For the intense reading practice you are looking for, I would go with something like Phonics Pathways or Explode the Code.

Where you need to watch out is if you are planning on using T4L for Social Studies and Science. Those subjects are more reading intensive than the LA lessons. If she doesn't have the reading and comprehension skills, she will be totally lost.

Most placement tests put out by curriculum companies only test for that particular curriculum. Some curriculums I've seen are as much as 2-3 grade levels behind. Something done by a trained professional, like a Woodcock Johnson or WIAT would be the very best thing to use. You can also use end of grade tests to give you a better picture of academic performance.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

When you register, you may choose her placement levels in math and language arts. She can be in one level for math and another for language arts. These are easily changed if necessary.

Here is another thread about placement testing that you may be interested in:

https://www.time4learning.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289

Each subscription is intended for one child's use.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

PaulaInNoVA is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by shmoomama
    Where you need to watch out is if you are planning on using T4L for Social Studies and Science. Those subjects are more reading intensive than the LA lessons. If she doesn't have the reading and comprehension skills, she will be totally lost.
    Actually, my dyslexic 3rd grade (9yo) daughter loves the science and social studies sections of T4L. Her reading is not very good, some days it's at about a mid second grade level, other days she can't seem to make heads or tails of anything. But I use the texts as reading practice for her. I print them out, we go over them together (her reading a section first, me re-reading it) then she works on the computer, using Peedy Parrot if she wants it re-read again. The information at this age is well-presented and repeated in a variety of ways so that by the time the child is done with the unit, she should have grasped much of the information.

jharrington is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for all of your ideas. I have signed her up.

Paula, I have not seen the 3rd grade social studies. Does it use more interactive format or is it all text and comprehension questions like the upper school?

DD loves the social studies. I think the unit she is working on now is for 5th? and it does a great job of teaching her the background and vocabulary so that I can spend more of my time on primary sources and discussion. One of the things we use to suppliment is video lectures. You can find lots of good ones through searching here:
    http://www.selfmadescholar.com/classes.html

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Third grade social studies lessons are not animated like the first and second grade lessons. However, the text selections are short, with only a few sentences on each "page". They are well-illustrated. The student can click on unfamiliar words to hear them pronounced correctly.

There are also fun printables to go along with the lessons, such as cards for a timeline. My daughter enjoyed the printable Viking paper doll!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

That is a great video resource! Another one we love and use ALL the time is www.unitedstreaming.com. We have access for free through our state education agencies. However there is a sister site created more for use at home: www.cosmeo.com. I believe it is $10/mo or $99/year... but please check on that.

They have access to the same thousands of videos. For example they have 53 magic school bus videos, Bill Nye, Standard Deviants, Nest family videos, .... They do not have full feature Hollywood videos or documentaries but they have a whole host of video files to watch immediately. If you're familiar with Joy Hakim's History of US series, there was a PBS series developed from that. THey have all those available online. My daughter loves the math series Cyberchase. I just found those as well.

This is by Discovery Learning/Channel and they are constantly adding. I am thankful we have use of it for free but I would definitely pay for it. It is sooo well worth it.

Blessings,
    Adele
    [email protected]

I have been considering adding Cosmeo as well. Thanks for the good input there. I am so jealous you get that for free!

They have Cyberchase? I may never get computer time again!

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

Quote Originally Posted by shmoomama
    I have been considering adding Cosmeo as well. Thanks for the good input there. I am so jealous you get that for free!

They have Cyberchase? I may never get computer time again!
    Tell me about it! I finally figured out how to add them to the iPod so at least I can have the computer back (but it does take a while to reconfigure to play on the iPod. I normally try and do it overnight so the computer isn't tied up. It does slow down the adding of the videos, though but perhaps that isn't a bad thing.

One of the reasons I love T4L for my 2E daughter is because of the visual and auditory input. United Streaming/Cosmeo is a great complement for T4L! Especially for the T4L upper level social studies and sciences that are not as animated as I've heard they are in the younger grades. It works great to have her go through T4L, watch a short video and then do a short worksheet or some other way for her to concretely respond. Between the worksheets included on T4L AND United STreaming (many of the videos have teacher guides that often have quizzes or worksheets for the students), we have plenty of resources.

Although there are times I would like more worksheets or paper responses so we also use www.enchantedlearning.com and www.edhelper.com. Both are subscription services but also well-worth it. For enchantedlearning we have a group membership so that is definitely something to consider as it really lowers the price and makes it much more affordable to have both services.

Anyway, I would highly recommend it! And maybe you'll want to get a second computer?

Blessings,
    Adele

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast