a few questions

Thread: a few questions

alearningadventure is offline Member Regular

Default a few questions

Hi, I just came across this site last night and have a few questions. First of all, the math and language come with the 19.95 and I read that Soccial studies and science are a bonus for some levels? So do they come included in the 19.95 for elementary curriculum or is there an added cost. If so, what? I couldn't find this on the site.

Next, about how long is it taking kids to do a full days curriculum? Range? I have a 7 year old son who is an advanced go getter and a 9 year old daughter who is queen of distratction. My daughter is bright but not doing well in school. Repeated second grade and is slipping in third grade. My son is in second grad and is antsy to move to fourth. They are currently in a classical private school. (By the way I love the classical approach, but my daughter is struggling and I don't feel it is beneficial to pressure her into failure).

Also for multiple kids, do I need to get two computers hooked up to the net or is it workable for them to share one computer???

I never really considered homeschooling full time before this week so would appreciate some honest input - Thanks in advance. Laura

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Everything is included in the monthly subscription price of $19.95 ($14.95 for additional children). There are a few exceptionally nice social studies lessons available for first and second graders. (Children at this level typically concentrate on learning to read and understand number concepts.)

A complete social studies curriculum is included for grades 3-7. A complete science curriculum is included for grades 3-6. Seventh and eighth graders who are new to the program often begin with sixth grade science and social studies. Students can be placed at any grade level for any subject.

Homeschooling takes far less time than public or private school, mainly because of "crowd control" issues. Children do not have to wait in line to wash their hands before lunch, wait their turn to use limited classroom equipment like microscopes, and so forth.

Lesson time varies greatly. I will throw out a ballpark estimate of two to four hours (less for younger students, more for older).

We have many members who have three or four children sharing one computer.

If you like the classical approach, you could have one child doing T4L on the computer while you work with another on copy work and so forth. Then, they would switch off. That way, you would have the best of both worlds.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Welcome Laura

Kelly, did a GREAT job answering all of your questions. I just wanted to welcome you!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

I have one son right now doing T4L, he does Math (3 areas a day for 3 days a week) it takes him about 1 1/2 hours to cover that much a day. Sometimes it is a little less sometimes a little more. LA and SS is about the same. I estimate him 2 hours for each class.

Oops better explain a little further, it looks like he spends 6 hours roughly just doing this work. We split his classes.
    On Monday, Tuesdays he does Math, Science, Reading and health
    On Wed and Thurs he does LA, SS, reading, spelling and PE
    On Friday he does Math, spelling testing, educational movies and computer games

we spend between 3-4 hours doing school. It helps him to spend more time on a subject and he retains the information better then doing a little everyday.

My daughter on the other hand is different and likes to do a little every day. We do not have her doing t4L as of yet but I could see us working her into it easily on one computer with my son. I am hoping to keep only one computer online for safety reasons, easier to monitor.
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

alearningadventure is offline Member Regular

I just saw my old (first) post here and had to laugh at how far I've come in 7 months! Like I said, I had never considered homeschooling before that fatelful day in March and now I am a full fledged, full time, T4L, home school, soccer mom who promotes T4L everywheree and gives advise to other new and accidental home schoolers - Ha! Not that I am an expert, but I have learned so much from Kelly and Kerri and so may more of you that I am eager to put what I learned to use and share it with others!

We actually do school for 5-6 hours Mon - Thurs and then attend a co-op Friday mornings where I teach two classes. Then we go to the library, Costco, used bookstores, open gym, field trips, etc. I know I am probably adding too much right now, but my kids are used to going til 3 every day and my daughter told me she liked our schedule! My son actually gets on T4L after dinner to do more lessons and Playground some days! Crazy kid!

It is going really well, and we are always busy (especially with soccer season). My concern now is that I find a way to give myself mom time besides work. (I am a social worker so still work on call at the hospital 3-6 days a month). Any suggestions? We live out of town so it's not so easy to go anywhere anytime either. I am very social and know I will eventually need some breaks.

Thanks for all the support out there. It has really made these last 7 months easier!
    Laura

Blog Entries

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. When new people post, expressing a beginner's confusion, I often predict they'll be the ones giving advice in a short time. Now I can point to this thread as "proof".

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

laura,

awesome to see how far you've come in so little time. the only advice i can give you about mommy time is to enjoy little moments (my favorites are showers and potty breaks - by myself!!! and my drive to/from work). but you also need to start building in time to your day that is just for you. i promise it will save your sanity. also, don't forget a little alone time with hubby is great for your own sanity and great for your marriage to boot!

on a personal note, this is really hard for me and my hubby - he works nights and i'm part time, but usually days. add all of our extracurricular activities, and we're practically ships passing in the harbor. we try and spend one breakfast by ourselves a week, and one dinner by ourselves a week (always at home to save money), and every day or every other day we try and run one errand together (grocry store, fill up on gas, grab something ... whatever).

sometimes, it can be really hard work to find time for yourelf and for each other ... but the payoffs are SOOOOOOOO worth it!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

I do daycare so naptime was MY TIME. Now that I am homeschooling as well, I have gone back to summer schedule which means that from Noon-1pm is MY TIME. I get to eat my lunch, daycare kids are napping, I can watch MY shows and my son gets to eat his lunch in his room and watch whatever he wants. Then at 1pm we start schoolwork because daycare naps until 2:30.
    My hubby and I try to run at least 1 errands alone on the weekends as boys are old enough to stay home for an hour or so. And even though its likely only Home Depot, we still get to hold hands and talk without children distraction.
    My kids are in bed by 8:30pm, no exceptions except for Fri. or Sat. evening when they get to stay up until 9pm. They have to check TV shows and see which one they want to watch more and they have to pick either Fri or Sat, they do not get both. This gives us at least an hour before we go to bed, where we get alone time.
    I also do my grocery shopping usually alone. I go every 2 weeks and while its boring... it gives me alone time, I can get it done 10x faster plus I can reflect, enjoy the quiet, etc.
    Keeping our sanity and creating little areas of Mom time, is VERY important! I tend to get Snotty if I do not get some alone time.
    Oh, and I also get up at 5am, as I am not a morning person. That gives me an hour before my hubby gets up @ 6am. Kids get up @ 6:30am and I have to be ready to start my day for daycare @ 8am. That hour to myself makes a huge difference. I get to enjoy my coffee, check emails, etc. and gradually wake up.

Blog Entries

I make myself get up REALLY early to have "me-time", too. (Check out the times on some of my posts. Four a.m., anyone? ) Coffee and computer . . . that's my ideal "me" time, and gets my day started right.

I'm really fortunate these days to have a couple of teens in the house so, after I put the other kids to bed for the night, I can often pop out to do a little evening shopping or something. In fact, that's where I'm headed right now. I saw some curtains on sale in the newspaper, and the store is open until ten! My older kids don't mind, especially if the little ones are asleep first.