First Year of Homeschooling
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By onlyme4430
  • 2 Post By Jim M

Thread: First Year of Homeschooling

Courtney Crosland is offline Junior Member

Question First Year of Homeschooling

Hello! I am a former classroom teacher, and when we decided to homeschool, I spent hours researching curriculum and a fortune buying this said curriculum. I tried it for a few weeks and felt immediately that it was all wrong. They were incredibly bored; therefore, they weren't learning a thing. I felt that there was absolutely no engagement. I want my kids to enjoy learning! My friend recently told me about Time4Learning so I decided to look into it. It almost seems too good to be true. I worry that my kids will have fun, but won't learn. But it's because I've been taught as a teacher that everything has to be done a certain way, and I'm having a hard time letting that go.
    A few questions. I've been told that there's a lot of spiraling in the curriculum. Is there any focus on mastery at all? I believe in lots of review and learning new concepts at the same time. I want to make sure they're also memorizing important math facts as that is not important in the public school and believe it is necessary. With science, are there any hands-on activities? Or is it all on the computer? I don't want my kids to just focus on the computer screen all day because that's not beneficial either. My boys, especially, are hands-on learners.
    Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Courtney. All of my kids have used T4L as their core curriculum and all have been ready for college at age 16. One graduated from college, two did college courses to replace their last year of high school, one is currently a college student, and two are still using Time4Learning. Yes, they will learn . . . as well as enjoy the process.

Two of my kids needed additional math drill (multiplication tables). Many students don't, because they are able to memorize the facts effortlessly in the course of their everyday school work. It doesn't "soak in" quite as easily for some kids.

T4L is actually more of a mastery program than a spiral. Concepts tend to be reviewed from year-to-year instead of continuously throughout the program.

There are hands-on activities in the older science lessons, and you can find supply lists within your parent login. Most middle school students prefer the newer MS science lessons, though, and the student simply watches the online teacher perform those experiments.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Please let us know if you need anything more.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

onlyme4430 is offline Member

Hi Courtney,

We just started homeschooling and I was lucky to find T4L and my son enjoys it. I do think that he needs "extra" instrtuction so what I've chosen is to have T4L be my "core" curriculum, but we are doing more hands on learning activities after he finishes the lessons we have planned for the day online. We are doing lots of lapbooking, workbooks, science kits, field trips, plus we will go to encrichment classes 1 day a week. I think that will help keep him balanced so he's not in front of a screen all day (since he would totally do that if it were video games lol). Hope this helps!
    Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Hi, Courtney. All of my kids have used T4L as their core curriculum and all have been ready for college at age 16. One graduated from college, two did college courses to replace their last year of high school, one is currently a college student, and two are still using Time4Learning. Yes, they will learn . . . as well as enjoy the process.

Two of my kids needed additional math drill (multiplication tables). Many students don't, because they are able to memorize the facts effortlessly in the course of their everyday school work. It doesn't "soak in" quite as easily for some kids.

T4L is actually more of a mastery program than a spiral. Concepts tend to be reviewed from year-to-year instead of continuously throughout the program.

There are hands-on activities in the older science lessons, and you can find supply lists within your parent login. Most middle school students prefer the newer MS science lessons, though, and the student simply watches the online teacher perform those experiments.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Please let us know if you need anything more.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Hi Courtney, I'm new to this to. We live in Hawaii and so many here are homeschooling. My son has participated in several different curriculums in the past just for the added help that he needed. I've also signed him up for CTC math to give him extra help with mastering concepts. They're having a sale on their curriculum now.

Courtney Crosland is offline Junior Member

We're going to be doing Saxon math for my 4th grader. I like it because it spirals, and T4L doesn't. But she'll be doing everything else through T4L and my sons will be doing everything through T4L. Well, I'll be doing some writing curriculum for all of them as well. But T4L will be our main curriculum. Hoping it works out well and it can be something we use long-term!

Jim M is offline Junior Member

My 7 y.o. daughter loves T4L. She just finished her first week on 9-25-15. In public school, she was in 1st grade but her assessment test placed her on a much higher reading level. I started her out on a 3rd grade reading level and 2nd grade Math, knowing that I could adjust it at any time. She is doing great so far.

Here is what she wrote in her journal on Friday:

"My first week of school was amazing! I love home school. I don't get germs. It is more interesting than RFE (her public school name). It is the best (smiley face) and saves more time. Mom and Dad helped me." (kitty drawing)
    Last edited by Jim M; 09-28-2015 at 05:29 PM.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Very cute, Jim! That was nice to read. Thank you for sharing it.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!