getting my son to WANT to homeschool
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo

Thread: getting my son to WANT to homeschool

LeeGee is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default getting my son to WANT to homeschool

I've been subtly mentioning homeschooling to my son and he never protested, he just kind of ignored me, so I thought he might be okay with it. Well now that I'm getting more and more convinced everyday to start doing this, he is upset. He is 10 years old and in 5th grade, middle school. His issue is with not seeing his friends everyday, he is very social. He said he would do it if one of his friends do it, but I told him he would do it if I told him to do it. So you see, this is not going well. I don't want to have a power struggle, I just want to do what's best for him. He is such a smart boy, I really feel like public school is stifling his potential.

I have tried to point out things like sleeping later, more play time, play dates, learning about what he wants to learn about instead of what the teacher makes him learn, but he is just so focused on his social life. (I guess I probably would have felt the same way when I was a kid)

Please, please, I could use some parenting advice!!

Thanks,
    Lisa

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Lots of kids who have been in the brick and mortar schools don't want to lose their friends. Yes, they will see them less often, but they can still keep their friendships and they can make new ones with other homeschoolers in the area. Have you looked at local homeschool co-ops you can join. They offer classes, field trips, sports, parties and more. Talk to your son about that opportunity. Go to local homeschool support groups and meet other homeschooling families. See if they have any upcoming events your son and you could attend so he can get a better idea of what is available to him.

Hope these ideas help.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I would give him some time of deschooling. Don't push him to study anything unless it is something he is interested in. At the same time get him involved with lots of other kids his age in the local homeschool groups. What part of New York are you in? That would give us a clue as to what direction to point you in. There is a great group in Westchester County and the Lower Hudson Valley. It's a yahoo group called Tri-County Homeschoolers. In NYC there is NYCHEA. There is also a list of various groups here. Both of these groups are listed on it. Also stop by the New York Parent Forum. You probably can find some one from your area on that forum.

I have a 9.5 year old son so i know how stubborn they can be.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

LeeGee is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I did join the TriState Group (I'm in Putnam County) and I am trying to reassure him, but he's getting really upset now. He's at the point of tears, saying that he doesn't want to leave school. The reasons I have for doing this really don't mean anything to him, at his age, I guess it's a bit difficult for him to see the big picture. This isn't going to be easy.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

He will most likely thank you after all is said and done, and if not now, he will thank you as an adult for looking out for his best interest. You are a good Mom!!
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Once he starts meeting new friends and gets to know other homeschoolers he'll be fine. Maybe you can arrange some playdates with his school friends over the weekend. We moved a few months ago. My son still talks about his friends at the old house. Even the one boy that he fought with all the time. It takes them a while to adjust to changes like this. But they come through it fine.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Just a couple of reminders. Maybe answer these questions for yourself, and then share with him if you choose.
    1. Why do I want to homeschool my child?
    2. Why does my child need homeschooling?
    3. What are the benefits of homeschooling my child?
    4. What do I think will happen to my child if I don't homeschool him?
    5. Why do I need to make this decision now?
    I know those questions all seem to be asking the same thing, but be very specific. If you don't have concrete answers for all of them, then maybe think on those questions a little more.

Then, answer these questions so that you can present the answesr to you son...
    1. Are you going to school for friends or for an education?
    2. What do you want to be when you grow up?
    3. Do you think that a better education now would help you achieve your goals?
    4. Are you afraid of losing your old friends, or are you afraid of making new friends?

Homeschooling can be quite an adventure. It doesn't have to be boring, or isolating. With more focused education time, there is more free time to explore through field trips, individual interests, and often opportunities that are not available to public school kids. You just have to make sure that you are wanting to homeschool for the "right" reasons. Every family has their own reasons that are right for them, you just need to make sure you know what they are.

Best of luck,
    LeeGee likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!