Good resources, Bad UX & UI
    kangland is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Good resources, Bad UX & UI

I have to tell my feeling about T4L : Good resources, but really bad UX & UI .

All of UX & UI are old style, it looks like 80's times , not modern style.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Good resources, Bad UX & UI

Hi! I'm not sure if you have viewed the main lessons. There are a few older lessons, especially in social studies and for when members CHOOSE to use the old science lessons. (All-new science lessons are available for middle school and high school, and Scienc4Us (for K-3) is new material.) The majority of the program contains recent updates and is similar to these demo lessons. (Time4Learning was careful to include some of the older material in the demos, too.)

All math and language arts are made up of recent material.

You can preview lessons from within your parent dashboard to see what any of them look like.

You can pick and choose lessons you want, using the Create Plan function on your parent dashboard.

The developer adds new lessons on a regular basis.

Look around a bit more. I'll bet you'll be pleased!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

DamienMcKenna is offline Junior Member Newbie

Do you mean that the animation and sound effects seen in the "High School Science" demo, which treats the audience like a 5 year old, is *not* actually used in the *actual* course material? The animation is honestly reminiscent of 1960's cartoon PSAs.

We're considering signing up our 14yo for some ninth grade courses.

Thank you.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Damien. The high school lessons begin with an intro (silly cartoon). These intros are the same for every lesson in that subject, and there is an option to skip them. Just click "skip intro" at the bottom, right.

Then there is a short narrated introduction, which often looks similar to the picture at the upper left of this high school lesson overview page. Most students find that more engaging than the "white board" approach. In addition, the narrator has a less formal tone than you might be accustomed to in other online programs. They might say things like, "Got that? Cool! Let's move on!"

After that, there is usually a videotaped "human" instructor. Some of them are what you might be accustomed to in a high school lecture. Others might wear a costume and still others get pretty silly. They all have different personalities.

Some of my own kids didn't want their friends watching them do their school work, but they all admitted that the Time4Learning approach, while sometimes silly, did make the material easier to remember than the dry, cookie-cutter approach. When I would offer to switch them to textbooks or use something like Khan Academy (which is very serious and all whiteboard), they decided they preferred Time4Learning.

No curriculum is a perfect fit for everyone. Time4Learning has many thousands of members, including my own family, so it's been a great choice for many of us. My kids eventually outgrew being embarrassed about some of the lessons and have recommended the program to their friends, saying basically what I said above . . . It might be silly, but that makes it so memorable that it works!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!