Hello everyone! I need some advice
    THINKPIRE is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello everyone! I need some advice

Hello everyone!

I need some advice.

My 11 year old daughter is in the last leg of 6th grade, there are only about 8 weeks left in the school year, but she has Trich..she pulls her hair to the point of being bald in some spots during the school year, and the problem disappears over summer.

After having a mostly enjoyable school year (her teachers are great, she has been very social, and has been able to hide her bald spots under pig tails and head bands) these last few weeks have been increasingly difficult and she has been begging me to take her out of ps and to home school her.

I'm not sure if it's because a 3 day 6th grade camp is coming up end of next week, but I would love to home school her even though I have been warned that I may not be able to provide her the edu that she needs in order to thrive when she returns to the rigors of either ps or to college. Not to metion her social life.

On the other hand I know that taking her out of ps to home school would help her to stop pulling her hair which could mean the possibility of her hair growing back in time for her to be able to enjoy summer vacation without having to worry about her bald spots showing (like when swimming)

Do you think that I should make her push herself through the last of ps or go ahead and home school her the final 8 weeks?

Thanks in advance for any bits of advice any of you are willing to share,

Christine P

Carla is offline Member Regular

Default Re: Hello everyone! I need some advice

If your child is asking to be homeschooled and you are willing to give it a try, go for it!!
    The concerns that someone has voiced to you are unfounded and a puplic school advocates way of frightening you. Most homeschoolers do very well in college as they have more experience in being self-motivated.
    You know your child best. If school is so unsettling to her that it is causing her tichs to be worse and you know you can control them at home, you have your answer.
    My oldest daughter would come home from puplic second grade with a migraine at least four days a week. We started homeschooling her in third, she is now 16, and has had maybe a total of a dozen headaches in all the years she has been homeschooled.
    Follow your heart.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i totally agree with carla. you know your daughter better than anyone else, and not a single one of us can give you the answer. i know that's frustrating to hear. important things to considerder:

its hard to see your children in any kind of pain or frustration. sometimes its better to push them through it, but they all have their breaking points. do you feel that she's reached hers? i think that's probably your core question.

keep open conversation with her and see if she think she can make it or not.

remind her that while different, homeschool isn't necessarily easier.

as for whoever told you that you can't give her an equal education at home, tell them to take a long walk off a short pier. they're full of crud. (sorry, feeling a litle more blunt than usual tonight) let them know that it is now standard practice for harvard, yale, princeton, stanford, etc to actively RECRUIT homeschooled kids. then they can put that in their pipe and smoke it.

we're here for you whichever way you decide ... keep us updated.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

warned that I may not be able to provide her the edu that she needs in order to thrive when she returns to the rigors of either ps or to college. Not to metion her social life.
    Here is some links that may help with these issues you are facing:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/old ... ollege.htm
    http://learninfreedom.org/colleges_4_hmsc.html
    http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000017.asp

It really is not a problem for homeschoolers to go to college, that is a misconception. Returning to public school for high school is as hard as the law makes it. For Wyoming it is as easy as just registering them and the school deciding whether they want to give them a placement test. I am not sure of the other states laws. My stepson returned with no problems and he didn't take a placement test either.

Social life is as good as you or her would like to put into it. My boys went to the rec center, joined in public school sports, attended public school dances with thier dates, went to many social activities through the rec center and through our town. My daughter has been a little tougher, she can not do sports except swimming in the summer, but we go to the park, and place playdate calls every week with people she knows. My children had better social lives then when they were in school. Here are some links that may help too.

http://www.edarticle.com/alternate-educ ... ation.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeschooling
    http://home-school.lovetoknow.com/Publi ... eschooling

Good luck with your decision, I wish the best for you and your daughter. And welcome to the board
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Christine,

I know this must be a very scary, but exciting time for you. You begin to dream about being home with your daughter and educating her and yet you fear because the world tells us that we're not qualified. Know that your fears are common, but the more you research the more you will find that they are not true. YOU are more than qualified. Especially when you use a program like Time4Learning. You are more the overseer of their education and it does all the record keeping for you. BUT (said with a big smile) you can read a loud from books together, work in the kitchen together, go on field trips together. The only time we are EVER segregated by our own age groups is during the school years. The minute we step out the door for a job, church, family gatherings we are thrust into situations with all different ages. Homeschool children thrive in LIFE because they do not build up an expectation of needing to be with ONLY peers. Though peers are gREAT! (wink)

I can't wait to see what you decide, but I want you to know that you CAN do this! I live in Florida and there are 2200 homeschoolers in my community alone!

Mary, who is getting ready to graduate her first little homeschooler next year and is preparing 3 brothers after that!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I don't know who warned you that you might not be able to provide for her educational and social needs through homeschooling. If it was someone at the school, remember that the NEA (teachers' union) has released a statement that reads, ". . . homeschooling cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience."

There is nothing saying what that statement was based on. Colleges are actively trying to recruit homeschooled students. Homeschooled students outperform students educated in the public schools an average of 30-37 percentile points (depending on which study you read).

Many students in public schools become peer dependent, which means they are unable to relate to anyone who is not their own age. That isn't the kind of socialization I want for my own children, who are equally comfortable around infants and the elderly. Peer dependence often contributes to stress behaviours.

You say, "I know that taking her out of ps to home school would help her to stop pulling her hair." That is an important parental observation!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

*shock & awe* i am absolutely dumbfounded that the NEA said that. i know so many teachers that would NEVER say that because they put each individual child's needs ahead in any opinion they form. wow.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!