Hello i am alex dombrowski
    alex dombrowski is offline Junior Member Newbie

Post Hello i am alex dombrowski

Hello i am Alex Dombrowski, i am in 9th grade i have had depression from the age of 5 so my doctor says. Two years after i was diagnosed my dad left... And as the years went on my depression got worse and worse, harder to deal with. In 2009 i lost my mom and i later then tried to kill myself, sence then iv been haveing to see therapists and people of that sort, they put me on medication that made everything worse. and the kids at my school make it even harder and even worse then it was before, the school year for us has just started September 6th and its the 20th and i have had thoughts of suiside everyday and one attempt ... i know that i have problims,but nothing seems to work to help the situation and so i am resorting to homeschool to try and see if it will make it least a little bit better.. and i want to know if anybody can help me try and figure out how to do this? please im really confused.
    sincerly alex dombrowski

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Alex,

So glad you visited Time4Learning! My heart breaks that kids are so cruel and that you have suffered so many times of sadness in your young life. I believe in you and your ability to rise above your circumstances and be all and more of what your were created to be. You are special and someone somewhere needs you. You have much to offer others based on your ability to survive your past experiences. You are obviously a smart guy who wants to improve yourself. Homeschooling can work for you.

There are lots of options for you. Here is a list someone put together that might help you.

Khan Academy (for math alongside a text, economics)
    CK12.ORG - FlexBooks (for science- biology, chemistry, physics)
    HippoCampus - Homework and Study Help - Free help with your algebra, biology, environmental science, American government, US history, physics and religion homework (for environmental science, US History, American Government)
    Daily Grammar Archive - Comprehensive Archive of Grammar Lessons (grammar)
    High School English (for Language Arts support- daily grammar is actually linked on this page)
    Annenberg Learner High School Level video learning

9th grade
    Language Arts 1 (start with Daily Grammar, CK12.org's Composition Commonsense, and suggestions from High School Engish)
    Algebra (of course T4L offers Algebra, but I would still use the Khan Academy Exercise Dashboard for drill and after that I would move on to Khan Academy and use CK12.org texts if I needed more)
    Environmental Science (HippoCampus Environmental Science)
    World Geography (This one I would put together myself starting with Annenberg Learner videos)
    World Religion (HippoCampus Religions of the World)

10th grade
    Language Arts 2 (finish Daily Grammar and CK12.org's Composition Commonsense, and suggestions from High School Engish)
    Geometry (I would use the Khan Academy Exercise Dashboard for drill and Khan Academy and use CK12.org texts if I needed more)
    Biology (CK12.org Biology with videos from HowStuffWorks)
    World History: Western Civilization (I would start with these videos and add library material.)
    Art History (I would start with Art of the Western World at Annenberg Learner and inlcude stuff from Art History Spot. Art History Spot is nice, because it has easy categories to navigate.)

11th grade
    Language Arts 3 (American Passages from Annenberg Learner with library books)
    Algebra 2 (I would use the Khan Academy Exercise Dashboard for drill and Khan Academy and use CK12.org texts if I needed more)
    Chemistry (CK12.org and Khan Academy lectures)
    American History (CK12.org and Annenberg Videos)
    Foriegn Language 1 (for this I would get a tutor, but there are online resources for the highly motivated)

12th grade
    Language Arts 4 (British Literature, I can't find something online that I like in a quick search, but Luminarium comes close.)
    Pre-calculus/ Trig (I would use the Khan Academy Exercise Dashboard for drill and Khan Academy and use CK12.org texts if I needed more)
    Physics (CK12.org People's Physics with videos)
    US Govt: 1 semester (HippoCampus US Govt, lightly in order to finish in 1 semester)
    Economics: 1 semester (hmm, there is CK12.org project based economics and Khan Academy has quite a few lectures that fall in this category)
    Foriegn Language 2 (for this I would get a tutor, but there are online resources for the highly motivated)

For example, if you have a child that had Algebra 1 in 8th grade or is ready in 9th grade to hit the ground running with essays and research papers, you may want to condense those four years into 3. Then, the child can dual enroll for his senior year. Of course, some children can condense some subjects, but not others. So, a child may dual enroll math his senior year, but really need high school English over four years.

9th grade- 5 1/3 credits
    LA1- World Lit with a focus on Eastern Hemisphere cultures (Invitation to World Lit)
    World History 1 w/ a 1/3 credit in Eastern Hemisphere geography
    Biology
    Geometry
    Art or Music (start at Annenberg and go from there.)

10th grade- 5 1/3 credits
    LA2- English Lit
    World History 2 w/ a 1/3 credit in European geography
    Chemistry
    Algebra 2
    Foreign Language 1

11th grade- 5 1/3 credits
    LA3- American Lit
    Govt/ Econ w/ a 1/3 credit in American geography
    Physics
    Trigonometry
    Foreign Language 2

Also, here is the link for the MI state forum. You will find specific homeschooling info your state there, and this link offers info about homeschooling in MI.

This is a link for a short e-book about beginning the homeschooling adventure. It might offer some additional help.

You CAN do it. Remember, you are wonderfully and fearfully created.
    Last edited by jpenn; 09-21-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Alex,
    I have to second what Jackie said, you are important, and your life will make a difference in the lives of others. Just remember that you will not be given more than you can handle, the things that you have already endured in your life will make you stronger. I hope that you are able to homeschool successfully. Hang in there, work hard, and learn all you can. Best of luck to you!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Alex, who do you live with now? Are they willing to help you homeschool? Have you talked to your therapist about everything that is going on. Remember that they are there to help you in whatever way you can. You are a worthwhile person who has had a rough time of it lately. Please take care of yourself.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Hi Alex,

I think it's just awesome that you're interested in homeschooling. So many kids your age would do anything to get out of a little schoolwork! Good for you! Hard work ALWAYS pays off, so when you're feeling down, keep on working toward your goal. What a cool guy you must be! Please take advantage of whatever resources are out there to help - your therapist is probably a good start.

Stay safe, Alex. There's a saying in the world of finance & investments: "Past results do not predict future performance." Keep that in mind and you can beat the odds!!!
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

kimbro96 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Alex, you are not alone! Life can get much better,
    even if you have depression as a teen. I've seen
    how it can happen. You can do things that are rewarding
    and find people in your life that care about you.
    Sincerely, Pam

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Alex, how are things coming along? Please take time to post so we will know how you are doing.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Stonemasseus is offline Junior Member Newbie

Wow..I am so sorry to hear that you have struggled so...but that fact that you WANT to make something of your life is awesome. If you can read then you can teach yourself and get a diploma and move on to make a better experience for yourself and those around you. You can google many curriculums for online work to complete your schooling. Some of the best advice I can give you though is to find a very good church that can help support you and encourage you. We all need alittle help. Get plugged into a home school group if you can. Also....Emotional health is imperative to get a grip on. OUT of our emotions come the thoughts we think and THAT is what you tune into during the day. If you wake up depressed...then you will think depressed and will eat depressing foods and listen to depressing music etc....Tune your "Radio" station to a HIGHER emotion such as Love or joy or happy....and then see what you pay attention to. You have a huge purpose in this life and need to find what that is ...if it is helping others just like yourself. Start your own meeting or school or group for HELPing others to achieve getting through another day and SEEING it as a Blessing instead of a chore. Not sure what to tell you. I am just responding your your post and praying that you find some PEACE amidst your storms.