Help

Thread: Help

new2this is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Help

We are thinking about homeschool for our 11 (almost 12) year old daughter - 6th grader. We thought she was doing OK at "brick and morter" school but she wanted to try online public so we gave it a shot. And we have had three other children go thru public school and must say today's public school is nothing like what we went to. Well she is not doing so good So another option is homeschool. We don't really want to send her back to "brick and morter" but we are wondering if she will do good with home schooling. I found time4learning and liked the "fun" style that it seems to have. I am wanting some advise from parents who can give me some. I have done research and I think my brain is in overload. If we do decide to move forward I will join the HSDLA and then some local groups but until then I would like some advise from homeschool parents. Her father and I both work and she does go to my parents and my father helps her. She does not want to go back to "brick and morter" school either but realizes that she can not keep up with what she is doing now. I am frustrated because I thought she was learning in her school - does good on standardized testing and is a "B" "C" student and when we put her in online public she went down to "D" and "F" grades and says she does not remember anything. She is not a child that you can give her a book and tell her to go read it. She is more like a montesorri/hands on/artsy type of student. Please any advise would be wonderful. I was also wondering how many people use just time4learning as curriculum? Not that I don't want to spend money on her education but I don't want to spend too much money and this not work for her. Please help!!!!!!

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Time4Learning.com forum.

I can help with some questions but not all. My son is in 6th grade and has never gone to a brick n mortar school. So I can't say anything about that or the online public school. We have used lots of different curriculum over the years we have spent lots of money over the years, but in the past 3 years we seem to always come back to time4learning.com. For my son this is a great way to get the core curriculum in and then have more time for the fun stuff. The things he likes to learn extra about. Like fishing, the laws, kinds of fish, kinds of fishing poles the list goes one. With that being said. Each child is DIFFERENT. You might find that your daughter excels w/ time4learning.com or you might find she needs that one on one person to person contact for it to stick. Either way, I recommend you go by her ques. Give time4learn.com a try for a few months. See how she does.

I pray some others stop by to share. Good luck on your adventure in homeschooling.

PS. We do add spelling (a subject we need extra help on) Bible and chapter reading to our schooling day.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

Thank you Brandy. I am overwelmed by all of it and scared. We discussed it again today with her and she has mixed emotions - course she is only 11 but I want her input also. Her dad know says put he rback in "brick and morter" which makes me sick to my stomache but I also can not see her failing either. UGH!!!!!!!!! I just keep praying about it. Thanks again.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

My son is 8 years old and in 3rd grade. He went to Pre-K for about 6 weeks, but has never been in public school. We have used Time4Learning since kindergarten. We totally love it. I really hope that they develop a high school program so we don't have to use anything else. My daughter has bounced around with all kinds of curriculum for her older two. They have been in and out of public school. She has spent a lot of money on different curriculum that just did not work out for her kids. She has come back to Time4Learning. Right now the kids love it. She now has her little one doing Pre-K on T4L. And she has a 4th grader and a 6th grader using T4L.

The thing you have to remember is that each child is different. While my son and grandbabies love T4L, not every child will. I can not tell my son to do a certain lesson and expect it to get done. I have to sit with him to keep him focused on the lesson. Otherwise he will be all over the place. We do supplement with Handwriting Without Tears, All About Spelling, Piano, Reading Time, and numerous outside activities. Today we learned about dipping candles over an open fire in the 1800's. We take a lot of this type of class at historical centers and environmental or nature centers.

All I can really say is to try it out. It's not that much money and no contract to sign for a long term commitment. If she doesn't like it you can always go on to something else. One more thing, if it's not working with the grandparents helping her, you could always do school at night when you can help her. There is no law that says schooling has to happen between 9 and 3 Monday through Friday.

Best wishes as you journey.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

New2this...
    I have to tell you that Time4Learning took the terror out of homeschooling for me. I cried for weeks before I actually pulled my daughter out mid- 1st grade year. We have used T4L ever since and are mid-way through 5th grade now. Public school and the classroom type setting did not work for my child. T4L does. We do suppliment penmanship, foreign language, musci, art, and special projects. You didn't say exactly why your daughter was pulled from public school. I have found, with my 10 year old, that I still sit with her, watch her reactions, ask questions, etc. If I didn't sit with her, she would fail because she doesn't focus well, and gets distracted during the lesson. When it comes time for the quiz or chapter test, she doesn't remember. Add to that the fact that she hates to repeat and that makes her getting the initial lesson the first time through very important. Like Kathi said, every child is different. T4L may or may not work out with your child's learning style, but T4L is very affordable, it is based on state and national standards, and it is planned out for you already, which makes it easier for you. It has been wonderful for us. Since there is no contract, you could try it for a month, if it didn't work out, you would not have lost anything. Best of luck! Oh, and you might go over to the Ohio state group, and see if they have advice specific to homeschooling in your state. Before you join HSLDA check the Ohio state group and see whether Ohio is friendly toward homeschoolers.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

I want to thank all of you that have given me some advice. I am thinking that we are going to choose T4L! We are also looking into another curriculm but it has more expenses involved. I will post our decision! Again thank you!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Everyone else has given you some great advice and encouragement, so I'll tend to more practical matters. Time4Learning does have a risk-free two-week trial. You can sign up and, if you change your mind within the first two weeks, you can cancel your subscription and get a refund.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Lena is offline Member

I am new to homeschooling this year also. I was completely overwhelmed by the options and trying to figure out what to do, and how to organize it. I have a few different options-but when I found T4L, I was thrilled. It takes care of lesson planning and grading giving me easy to read reports on my son's progress. It's a real time saver, for me. Both my husband and I work outside the home, we alternate days, so it helps us to be more organized, sharing the home teaching responsibilities. My son loves it-they both do-I just signed up my preschooler too. We do supplement with some other activities, but T4L is our core and I feel it covers all the bases.

just jump in. relax. and try. because you can have the 2 week trial and cancel any time, you won't be out tons of money if it doesn't work. Initially, I planned to use it for just a bit to get started, while I got myself organized. But it's working so well it will stay our core for this school year.

Welcome!