help with reading ideas
    cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Default help with reading ideas

Hi, hope all of you are having a good start to your homeschooling year. I wanted to ask if there was anyone whose child struggles with reading, I have a 8 year old who is struggling a little and all the reading you have to do for time4learning in science and social studies is overwhelming and she gets burned out really easily. I have been reading the lessons to her and letting her do the quizzes, but I don't want her to become dependent on me so I'm trying everything to get her to start reading the lessons on her own.

Third grade involves alot of independent reading and is a big step up from 2nd grade. I deal with migraines and some days it all I can do to sit and read about the vikings, science instruments or what ever our topic is for that day, but I can say I'm educating myself too

Thanks for listening I'm just praying that we will see great improvement and she will be able to work more independently which will be a great help to me and give her the confidence she needs to excel.

God Bless,

Cindy

mandiana is offline Senior Member

Default Re: help with reading ideas

My youngest has been a late bloomer with reading, too. She hates to read, but loves to be read to.

What I do with her though, is take turns. That way she's still getting the practice she needs. I'll read a page, then she'll read a page.

I think she understands the material better when she reads out loud, and I can hear where she's running into trouble and help her out.

She also takes notes while reading. She loves to draw, so I encourage her to use lots of pictures in her notes. So, we'll read the page, discuss the important parts, and she'll take/draw some notes during our discussion.

Doing these things have helped significantly with her quiz and test scores.

Amanda

mandiana is offline Senior Member

Oh, and if either you or she is feeling frustrated. Take a break Just because there are 8 pages, doesn't mean you have to read them all in one sitting!

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

I used to make a study guide like thing for my DD to use while reading it herself to fill out along the way. Teaches note taking but not just making her do it all. It is a bit time consuming to make the study guides but something you can definitely do ahead of time. I also allow my daughter to use her study guides for the quizzes. Here is my take on SS. Its a subject we would all like our kids to know more about though not one they are normally interested in until high school (if even then!) SO I am trying to give it little by little in all different ways. We will forgo the SS here for the most part this year and make a states notebook. My poor DD (6th grade) doesn't have a clue about them so this knowledge is more beneficial at this time. When we get back to T4L SS I will continue with the study guides. HTH!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3