Home Schooling Advice Please !
    Coffee Mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Home Schooling Advice Please !

My daughter is in 3rd grade and we have been having issues with bullies in her class. I have gone through the teacher, school counselor, principal, the parents and have tried to instill new skills in my daughter to deal with this but nothing has worked. After a meeting today with the principal and guidence counselor I get the feeling they no longer would like my daughter at that school. I also recieved a phone call from the teacher today where she called all this silly drama and said she doesn't time for this. She is currently going to this school because the school district we live in, the school is considered a school in need of improvement, so they suggested I take my daughter to that school.
    I guess my question is, how do I get started ? Any advice ? I read the info on home school and it seems like alot and it seems scary and intimadating, help ???
    I just want my daughter to get a good education and not be bullied so we are thinking of home schooling at this point.
    I just don't know what to do ~ so confused by all this !!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Coffee Mom,

You have a right to be upset. According to what you have said, the school is not taking this seriously or handing it appropriately. Homeschooling is not really scary, it just feels that way because it is new to you. It can sometimes feel overwhelming. Time is a big healer for both the scary feeling and being overwhelmed. It sounds like homeschooling is a good option for you.

Here is an e-book for families new to homeschooling. It is comprehensive without being overwhelming.

This page has great info about homeschooling in New York, and it has lots of links for further resources.

Relax, breathe, and know that what you choose to do is what you believe is best for your child. You CAN do it.

If you haven't done so already, join the New York State Forum. You will find lots of great info there.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Coffee Mom, I am so so sorry to hear that you and your daughter are going through tis. It is sad to say that this kind of thing goes on more than we would ever like to know. My grandchildren are homeschooled now because the bullying got so bad the bullies broke in to their home in the middle of the night. If you are serious about homeschooling her you need to send a letter of intent to the superintendent of schools where she attends. Are you in New York City or elsewhere in the state? In New York City you have to send the letter to the superintendent where you reside not where she attends. Within 10 days they are supposed to send you a form to fill out called the IHIP. On this form you list:
    (1) the child's name, age and grade level;

(2)
    a list of the syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks or plan of instruction to be used in each of the required subjects listed in subdivision (e) of this section;
    (3) the dates for submission to the school district of the parents' quarterly reports as required in subdivision (g) of this section. These reports shall be spaced in even and logical periods;
    (4) the names of the individuals providing instruction; and
    (5) a statement that the child will be meeting the compulsory educational requirements of Education Law, section 3205 through full-time study at a degree-granting institution, meaning enrollment for at least 12 semester hours in a semester or its equivalent, if that is the case. In this situation, the IHIP shall identify the degree-granting institution and the subjects to be covered by that study.

You have four weeks to fill this form out and get it back to the school district. They are supposed to tell you whether it is in compliance or not. Frequently they don't bother. They just file the form away and are done with it. Make sure you send this form to the superintendent registered mail return receipt requested. Some families even take the form in and have it date stamped as received. Make sure you keep copies of everything.

The process seems scary at first but once you get the hang of it, it really is not difficult at all. I would suggest joining some good homeschool support groups in your area. Come on over to the New York Parent Support Group on here. You will meet other homeschooling families throughout the state. It's a great place to ask questions and share experiences. Good luck as you journey through this process.

Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota