Homeschooler mom with questions
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    classymomma is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschooler mom with questions

Hi everyone! I am looking, looking at this program and am very interested in at least "trying" it! Here's my situation in a nutshell... I have a 14 yr. old (custodial) daughter who has ADD and LD. I have been trying to teach her "traditional" homeschooling as I have done with my other three children - it's not going to happen, although she really tries. I brought her home from PS and have homeschooled her through the summer. We finished 4th grade math and I have her in 6th grade math, but she is struggling. I cannot get her through 4th grade Language... and she is in 4th grade spelling, which is a real challenge for her. She hates to write and cannot formulate concepts onto paper (and I'm an English major!) and she cannot learn her grammar at all!

So, that is my dilemma. How do I know what grades to let her try on here? Is there any testing or ways for me to know what would be best for her? Or do I just leap in and change if it doesn't work? If I am going to try this for two weeks (which I plan on doing), I would like to start her in the grade most suited so we don't waste time fumbling around.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Just leap in and change if it doesn't work.

It sounds as if you have a fairly good idea of what level she should be working in. You will have easy access to a grade level above and a grade level below her registered level, so you can try different lessons to get it just right.

It takes a couple of weeks for most people to become accustomed to a new curriculum. I'm glad you've decided to give it a try! Feel free to ask questions as needed.

Try the new, real-time chat for new people on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default thanks

Thanks, Kelly! I did do the online chat - very cool! My daughter is working on things now and loving it!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

welcome to the group, classy - let us know if you have any issues you need to fine tune!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Default Low Quiz Score

I do have one small question. If my daughter does poorly on a quiz or test, should she re-take it or move on?
    She did a history lesson today and only got a 60. She told me that she re-took it 3 times and still had only a 60.
    What would be the best way to handle this in the scope of how the curriculum works?
    Thanks in advance!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

you can re-take a test as often as you need to in order to get a better grade. if she did it a couple of times and was still having a hard time, you may want to go back thru the lesson with her and make sure that she understands the content. we had issues with my kids skipping thru things, so i sit down with them while they do their lessons. try a few and see if it works.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

I too sit down with my son, esp. when it is lots of reading to make sure he does get it. I try to point out important facts, etc.

Thanks!

Default More Questions

I am wondering if most people on here use T4L as their only source of homeschooling? I don't have a problem with that at all. However, my daughter was already in a science and history program with another curriculum that she really likes. Will this be reflected on her grades on here?

Also, I see that many of you actually sit down with your students to do the lessons. I cannot do that all of the time, as I homeschool three other children. What would be the best way to handle this? My daughter is 14, but I don't want to give her too much freedom... any ideas or suggestions?

One more thing - are there any places in T4L where there are spelling or vocabulary words? Perhaps I missed this as looking through the syllabus.

Thanks so much!

Default Another Question

Hi again. So far, we are really enjoying T4L... The more I get into it, the more questions I have!

I am wondering about the lesson plans. We are doing 3rd grade Language and 5th grade Math. Are we to follow the numbers on the left hand side of the lesson plans... where it says Lesson Code? We noticed that some of these numbers are not in numerical order... such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 6, 8. Do we do these in the right numerical order? We also found that the math lessons my daughter did are not listed on the lesson plans at all.

We are just trying to make sure we do things in the right way!
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast