Homeschoolers: Why have you transferred your kids out of PS?

View Poll Results: Did the PS urge you to HS your troubled/problem student?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 7.69%
  • no

24 92.31%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    koolgeek is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschoolers: Why have you transferred your kids out of PS?

A lady approached my dh this week with her dilema: The local PS basically 'strongly suggested' that she 'transfer' her student to homeschool him or her. (She was looking for info. on HSing.. and knew we homeschooled) .... Anyway, I've heard this story before... troubled or problem student basically 'pushed out' into being
    an Accidental Homeschooler (a whole nother subset of Accidental HSers!).

Anyway, I've been trying to research the frequency of this phenomenon. I'm assuming that it isn't a nationwide occurence since some states have meassures that try and deter parents from HSing problem kids.

So-- Have any of you experienced this? Know someone its
    happened to, etc.? Please share. If you don't feel comfortable
    sharing on a public forum (for the privacy of your family and
    child) would you mind emailing me privately. I will NOT share
    your personal names etc. without permission. (Though if we
    had individuals that were willing,... that would bring more validity
    to the research).

At the very least... if this is you please answer this poll.

Thanks in Advance,
    Curious Researcher
    [email protected]

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

This is an interesting question. When answering, please remember that everyone has different reasons for home educating their own children, and no family's reasons are "better" or "worse" than another's.

I think it is probably unusual for a public school employee to urge a parent to homeschool their student. The NEA's (National Education Association's) official stance on homeschooling is that "homeschooling cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience." The "accidental homeschoolers" Time4Learning refers to are parents who determined for themselves that the public school system was unlikely to meet their student's needs.

I've home schooled all six of mine, plus my nephew, because my husband and I preferred to provide a customized education for each child (some gifted, some struggling, some average, and one with special needs). We wanted to be able to build on their personal academic strengths, as well as to teach our value system.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

My son attended a private Christian school in K and 1st. He is profoundly gifted and they really did try to accommodate him. Then they wanted to put him into third grade but he was already the youngest in first grade and third grade still wasn't going to solve the issues. So his first grade teacher, very kindly, suggested, "You might want to think about homeschooling. We just don't know what to do with a kid like him."

So it was in no way a "shoving out the door", at least that's not how we took it. And in the end, I'm so thrilled she suggested it! It was a great fit for him for seven years. He is now enrolled full-time back in school and probably going to be dual enrolled in high school and college this next year. We brought our daughter home after public K and that has been a terrific fit but no one suggested it. We just thought it would be better for her and our family.

Not quite sure what you're looking for but feel free to ask more specific questions.

teasnagger is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default personal choice

My little girl has been in PS sense K and she has nearly completed the first 9 weeks of 2nd . i had thought about HSing her from the start but was not sure of how to go about doing it . So i went against my gut feeling and placed her in PS any way. And it has proven to be an ill fit just as i had thought it would be . She is very smart and test above average but she has personality issues. she has a strong leadership trait and likes to help others when she sees them struggling .and in PS they simply will not allow true individuality. they try to conform the children into staying with the sheep so to say and my child just struggles with that . I have also decided to to HS because my child has expressed to me that the work that they have her doing in the classroom seems easy to her and she gets board and becomes easily distracted . when i went to the teachers with this concern they completely ignored it and did nothing . i feel that with HSing i can serve my child's learning needs as well as her personality better .

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

My husband and I were not on the same page, so to speak, about educating our children at home. I tried everything to make it work at the public school. I was probably that parent where the teacher was glad I was involved but honestly I was getting a bit pushy. My daughter didn't qualify for special education but there was very little available for her to be assisted during the day. They had a very nice old lady that could not spell, didn't understand the "new math" and couldn't hear my daughter due to her hearing impairment. The teachers were all nice, the principal was helpful and no one could help my daughter with her special needs. Frankly, until I had her tested independently, I think they thought she was just lazy.

I was not encouraged to homeschool but when I withdrew her half way through the school year it was like a sense of relief came across the teacher's face. It was like she was silently saying she could not provide for the kids that didn't get it the first couple times. They have to move on and the schools do not have the money to provide good aides for slower students.

BTW it was the doctors that assessed my daughter that suggested homeschooling as a viable option for our daughter. That's when my husband decided it would be a good idea. These are the PhDs that train the teachers in college for the special needs instructors. Go figure.

tai_renee is offline Junior Member Newbie

my son was missing with his bio dad for near to 5 years. When i found him and he was returned to me he had been in and out of hospitals, drugged to the point of perpetual stupor and was in a BD class. He had been throwing things launching desks and chairs, fighting, back talking and the list goes on. High IQ and bored out of his mind. I noticed he could not read any where close to his grade level. he was at a 4th grade reading and math level in 6th grade. YET they had been passing him for years! Only after i started complaining about his setbacks did his grades start to reflect what was truly going on. Now again this child has ADHD and RAD. RAD kids do not do well with authority figures to begin with and they have serious trust issues. When the school decided to implement a thorough hands on search of al the students he came unglued over it. He did not want anyone touching him. He had already been locked ina padded room once and he would surely require sedation if they tried to touch him. So I went to the school the morning of the first search and the school director told me and my son... "submit to the search or find another school."

It just so happens that I am a wiz at constitutional law. No not a lawyer just study it as I have a passion for it. I know that such a search without reasonable suspicion is a violation of his rights. They can instal detection devices and they can use wands but may NOT touch a student. I went to the special ed coordinator and asked for an alternative placement and he flat out refused. I typed my transfer papers up that day and immediately began HS him. This is our second year at it and he is reading at grade level!

He no longer throws things or furniture for that matter and his behavior is MUCH better. Plus it is really helping him with the trust issues. He sees that I not only defended him but backed him up when he needed me and he sees I keep my word. this is a child who did not like to be touched at all who now will let me hug him occasionally.

There are kids who need to be in HS and then there are kids who's parents feel it best for whatever reason but i see many benefits in it. HS kids are more often then not farther advanced then the PS kids.

DWest is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have had a similar situation with my children. I have two older step-children who's nat mother has had them in and out of schools, absent, moving around...the children were missing the basics to build on. Our son has adhd and our daughter is very slow to learn. The school labeled our son as a trouble maker, and our daughter as lazy. I was forced to put both our son and daughter on meds in PS and I did not like how they acted. Our son was already thin as a rail and with the meds he became thinner because of lack of appetite. We weren't forced or told it would be better to homeschool, but I knew it would benefit them. Unfortunately, I, in my older years, seem to have lost many organizational skills. I find it hard to keep up. Our daughter wanted to return to public school because she loves the "social life" with her friends. But her acedemics are taking the hit, hard. Her math teacher has not taught her anything. She was failing miserably, but I have intervened and put her on some internet work after school. The answer to your question is that here where we live, the schools do not accomodate the children. The parents are forced to medicate their kids or take them out, because the parents get tired of the notes and phone calls.

lorilynn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Yes, They DO!!

Hello! The PS told me to Homeschool my son because they did not want to deal with his medical problems. (he has severe asthma and IBS) I was taken to court because I refused to send him to school sick and they REFUSED to look at any of his letters from his doctors. It was insane!! Looking back though I can say that it was a BLESSING that I did withdraw him and decided to Home school. They are not worthy to be in his presence.

Lorilynn
    Nick and Michael's Mom
    www.snowyowlbooks.com

Mamacita is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default WOW !

Where 2 start ? My son has had problems of all sorts since starting school. I have requested the school 4 yrs to test him, but met all kinds of resistance. I am learning they do not like to do this because they do not like to pay the cost to educate special needs kids. After multiple problems this year (ALREADY) I kept insisting they test him. Testing was completed this week and our conference is next Monday, but I'm kind of scared as the psychologist states he is having more behavioral problems at home than at school which is a crock ! I asked them to test for Asperger's, and a few of his teachers think he is FAKING ??? Give me a break !! How many kids would have the vocab of an 8th grader, the writing skills of a 1st grader, and psych/social skills all over the map?!?!?!!! I started my son here to be proactive, and I don't think I want him back in a regular school at any cost.
    I'll try to come back next week for an update.
    ~*~ Mamacita to 5 (funny lil family joke) and "BonBon" to 3 grandchildren and new miracle on the way ~*~

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Default My son was a mess!

He started 6th grade at a PS, 5 weeks ago. We pulled him last Thursday because he was failing miserably. Math is his weak point. We didnt put him in our neighborhood middle school because it failed state standards, but instead picked a secondary school allowed by our school district. Well, apparently despite it being the SAME school district each elem. school teaches different levels of MATH, etc. Where he started in Math was no where NEAR where he left off at the end of 5th grade. He was lost..... He is also VERY tall for his age, almost 6 ft. at 11 1/2. He has already had 3 skirmishes due to this, the last one resulting in a suspension. We took him out for the rest of the 6th grade year to homeschool him and get him back on track. He is smart kid, but was NOT prepared for Middle school coupled with his ADHD and the lack of same learning level between schools.
    The Middle School had crappy communication from the teachers to us. The math teacher's idea of helping my son was that we enroll him in an after-school program of 3 hrs. of Math tutoring daily. What kid is going to learn ANYTHING from being in school ALL day, then spending 3 more hours being tutored at a subject they hate. The band teacher still hadnt taught my son how to properly clean and care for him trumpet. We had to learn from the internet.
    I found this place from a recommendation from the Homeschool group I belong too. I am SO happy that I did!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast