Homeschooling chronically ill child question
    Pebbles is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Homeschooling chronically ill child question

Hello. My name is Rachel. My daughter was diagnosed with a condition called Cyclic Vomitin Syndrome with Abdominal Migraine.

The more stressed she gets the worse it is. She missed a great deal of school, four days in the first week. After a fight with the princple when she compared my 6 year old sick child to a tantrum throwing three year old, she reluctantly informed me of a system called homebound. They send a teacher to the house when she is too sick to go to school.

She and her twin brother were very early and weren't ready to move to the first grade. I am insisting they repeat the first grade next year. The principle wants to push them forward because they are testing at 3rd grade level for math and science, but they can't read or write very well.

That is the short version.

My daughter learns very well when I use everyday things to teach her. She is very intelligent but she hates to be wrong, so she freezes up at school. She completely shuts down.

The principle is still giving me a hard time and doesn't want to cooperate with my daughters needs for next year. So I'm seriously considering homeschooling.

Does anyone have one child homeschooled and one not? Does anyone else have a chronically ill child homeschooled? I will probably homeschool both if I do my daughter. I also have a four year old at home too. He would benefit from it too.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hello Rachel, sorry you are having issues at school. Homeschooling in TX is quite easy. Check out the Texas forum here. I want to also suggest you check out the Special Needs forum here.

Sounds like your daughter might benefit from homeschooling, especially if she freezes up at school, and due to the fact that she is advanced in math and science, but behind in reading. The one-on-one from you might make all the difference. Time4Learning gives you access to 3 grade levels at once. For example, if you place your daughter at grade 1, she will have access to grades K, 1, and 2 within each subject. She can work ahead in math and move down in reading. If she ends up needing to move up another level, then you can have her moved up to grade 2 and she will have access to grades 1, 2, and 3. Have you tried the demo lessons with her?

Be sure to check out the forums I mentioned, and keep us posted.

Best wishes.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Pebbles is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much Jackie. I haven't gone over the demo's with her yet. I plan on going over first grade with her again this summer and make sure that she and I both have the focus and self motivation to do it.

Strobist Girl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Good Morning~
    I see that you started this last May and it is now Aug 2012 - but I still want to reply to you. We are new to time4learning, but I am a mom to a 15 year old sophomore in traditional school and a "chronically ill" 3rd /4th grader. She and I travel from Atl to Boston every month for her treatment and we were in the county homebound program for two years. We travel 9 times a year for medical treatment and so we miss a LOT of school. The first year that we were in the program we were assigned a permanent teacher for the year who came out to our home and taught my daughter. That teacher was also assigned from her home school and would bring the work that her teacher wanted my dd to do. For every two days that we missed, we got 2 hours of instruction and it also meant that her absences did not count against her. She missed 52 days in first grade. In second grade, due to cut back in our school system, we did not get the permanent teacher - we were thrown into a pool teacher situation and it was horrible! She would have one teacher show up on Wednesday and a different teacher on Friday and they were clueless - didn't even talk to her classroom teacher and ... well I could go on. We made the decision and we actually worked with her principal to take her out of the school and start homeschooling. We have two to three years left of this kind of treatment and we hope to have her return to school. She does attend a "Homeschool school" one day a week for enrichment that she loves. Last year it was very hodge podge -but this year I seem to really have my act together

So It you need someone to connect with - it sounds like you and I have a lot in common