Homeschooling for my nephew
    karma126 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschooling for my nephew

Hi,

I live in Pittsburgh, PA. My nephew moved here from Florida at the end of July, 2011. I have not seen him for quite some time, and have learned alot about him over the past few months. I was shocked to learn that he only has an 8th grade education. He told me that he attended 9th grade, but his Mother pulled him out because he was getting in with the wrong crowd. He is now 21 years of age. My question is, can he participate in Homeschool? I want him to do well in life and do not know where to start. He thinks that he can just go and get a GED. Does anyone have any advice on where I should start?

Thanks for any help!!!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You can work on anything you want with him as long as he is willing to try. You don't formally "homeschool" him because he is over the required age limit to school...just means you don't have to hassle with filing papers and keeping attendance. You also wouldn't get any tax deductions. Are you wanting him to try Time4Learning? He can try the 8th grade demos to see if they help him. As far as the GED, let him try it so he will know what he needs to practice if he doesn't pass it the first time around.

Google GED for more info about it.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You can also purchase a GED textbook. Some school districts will loan you one to use to study for the test. I have a GED myself. I walked in and took the test with no prep. but I was also an honer roll student before I started messing up in my Junior year and then dropped out. I would check with your local school district to see if they have GED test prep classes.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

There are GED software packages available to use. I saw some in the local teacher supply store last week.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie