Homeschooling while working full time from home
    katlero is offline Junior Member

Default Homeschooling while working full time from home

Good morning,

My name is Katie. I have an 8 year old daughter in second grade that I am considering homeschooling. We moved from a well populated area to an extremely rural area and the transitions between schools and student relationships has just been awful! Bullying, name calling, and the final straw was a death threat from a little boy in her class saying he was going to shoot her in the face. The school made him say sorry and she would have to spend the next ten years standing next to this boy to get through the public school system. On top of the bullying, my kiddo has informed me that they have yet to do a science lesson and itís March! She says the teacher tells them they just donít have time because she is too busy fighting to control a class of 14 kids. The final icing on the cake is that we will have to sign an acknowledgment waiver for the rest of her school career stating we understand and acknowledge that there is asbestos in their school and it is controlled and safe. So on top of all the great benefits of homeschooling, we have more than enough reasons to not continue our only choice of public schooling in the area.

My question is, I work from home full time and have leeway with my workload to
    make homeschooling a possibility, but Iím worried I will not have enough time for both my job and her education. From experience, do you think I can both maintain my full time workload and help my daughter with lessons for homeschooling? I definitely am looking at T4L as a main portion of her education with me helping and assisting, as well as supplementing as need be, but because of our circumstances, I need her structure to be pretty self-motivated and me more assisting than as the absolute primary educator.

Thank you!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Homeschooling while working full time from home

Hi, Katie. Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry the new school has been a poor experience for your daughter.

Many parents work full time and homeschool. The great thing about homeschooling is that you determine the schedule. You can do school on the weekends, in the evening, in the summer, or whatever works for your family.

Many working families like Time4Learning because they can set up their child's plan from within their parent dashboard and then the child can do school during the day while the parent is at work. The lessons are intended to be worked independently, but there will be times when the child has questions. You can address those n the evening when you get home from work. You can also log in to your parent account any time during the day and see what your child has gotten done and how long they have spent on their online lessons. AND . . . the program grades most of the work for you, so you don't come home from work each day to a huge stack of workbooks you need to grade!

There is a working parents section of this forum. Just go to the home page and then scroll down until you see it.

We hope you'll stick around and share more with us!

Edit: I answered this assuming you were working away from home. Now that I have re-read your post, I see that you work from home. I work from home! I have homeschooled six children all the way through high school. At various times, I have worked away from home or from home. Yes, you can do this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!