How do I start?

Thread: How do I start?

mommy2girlsx2 is offline Junior Member

Default How do I start?

Hello

I am hoping you might be able to help me or direct me in a way to get help. My daughter is currently in Public School in Letcher County KY but we are going to be relocating to the Lexington/Georgetown KY area and I want to pull her out of public school and homeschool her once we move. I am honestly brand new to the idea of homeschool and I have no idea what so ever on how to even begin, and I am hoping you might be able to help. I appreciate any information you can provide.

Thank You

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

The first thing to do is to visit your state's Department of Education website and learn your state's homeschool laws. Each state has different laws for homeschooling. Some of them only want to be notified that you are homeschooling. Others want to be notified each year that you are still homeschooling, and some want your student to take a standardized test each year or every few years. Most of them do not require any particular education for the parent/teacher, but a very few do specify that the parent must have a high school diploma or GED. There are also various requirements as far as record keeping and reporting.

Once you know your state's requirements, then you can go about choosing a curriculum. An online, animated curriculum like Time4Learning is often a good choice, because it provides tools for the beginning parent's planning use and the lessons are especially engaging to keep the child's interest.

Good luck to you as you begin your exploration!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mommy2girlsx2 is offline Junior Member

Thank you

In KY from what I can tell I just have to notify them with a a letter.

Blog Entries

I understand Kentucky is very homeschool-friendly. I noticed a sample Kentucky letter of intent online once. I'll see if I can find it.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I've been homeschool in Winchester, KY for 10 years. The state requirements are pretty lax. Once you move get on the county's public school website & they will likely have a place to print out the homeschooling form. If they don't just go to the central office & pick it up. Basically, it just says where your child previously went to school & the name of your homeschool. (Generally the last name of the family. ie Graves Homeschool) You don't have to keep to their calendar. I generally school the day after Labor Day til the Friday before Memorial Day. I take a week off for Thanksgiving & 2 for Christmas. And that's it. We don't have snow days & all the other crazy holidays & breaks. Just keep track of what your teaching, grades & attendance. Generally, I just buy a monthly/weekly calendar at Walmart & do my planning on it. This year I decided to try this site & honestly so far I am NOT happy. Hopefully, they will fix the problems & we can move on.

Blog Entries

Thank you, jmariegvs, for providing information from someone who is actually homeschooling in Kentucky!