How much non screen material is there?
    GuestUser is offline Junior Member

Default How much non screen material is there?

Hi, Are there recommended reading lists or other supplementary material provided with this program so we can also look into not spending all the time in front of the computer? She is in first grade.
    I visited the sample lessons and they look like a lot of fun, but I would like to se the printed material as well. Is it accessible as a sample anywhere?
    Thanks,
    Stella

Carla is offline Member Regular

Hello Stella,
    I am just a parent of a child who uses T4L. Kelly, the moderator for T4L is off line, probably in bed since it is the wee hours of morning. If you check back later in the day she, Kelly, will be able to give you answers to your questions.
    For now, I can tell you that there are some early readers to be printed off. My daughter is older and using the fourth grade language arts. She is to read 25 books and keep a log of them. T4L has some wonderful Book Log pages that she is to fill in after each story and keep in a notebook. She is to read stories in different genre.
    I hope this helps some until Kelly can give you some answers. She is full of good advice.
    Carla

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hello, Stella.

There are many printable resources at the first grade level. Some parents use them all, and some like to pick and choose. I can't say enough good things about the printable teaching guides available for first grade language arts. They include ideas for hands-on activities, games, songs, book lists and worksheets.

My attempt to attach one sample worksheet here failed. If you will email me by hitting the little "email" button below, I'll reply with a sample first grade math worksheet.

Probably the best way to see what's available is to take advantage of the risk free trial offer.

Carla . . . You're right. I was sleeping.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

eaglesfly is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Carla
    Hello Stella,
    I am just a parent of a child who uses T4L. Kelly, the moderator for T4L is off line, probably in bed since it is the wee hours of morning. If you check back later in the day she, Kelly, will be able to give you answers to your questions.
    For now, I can tell you that there are some early readers to be printed off. My daughter is older and using the fourth grade language arts. She is to read 25 books and keep a log of them. T4L has some wonderful Book Log pages that she is to fill in after each story and keep in a notebook. She is to read stories in different genre.
    I hope this helps some until Kelly can give you some answers. She is full of good advice.
    Carla

where do you get the book list? is there a list here on the site for titles of books? my child is in the 4th grade level also.

Carla is offline Member Regular

I have gone back to try to find the Book Log sheets and haven't been able to find them. I ran a bunch off last year. At the bottom of the page is the http: www.thelearningodyssey.com/PIP/PIP_LAShow.aspx Maybe Kelly can tell you under what student activity heading these pages are found.
    These pages are book logs for the children to keep on books they have read outside of T4L. The books are of the students choosing, no set reading list. I use the genre being studied under LA, Literature Extension, at the 4th or 5th grade level it includes Historical fiction, fables, poetry, Greek mythology.
    Also don't forget to run off the guides to the literature units; they contain a lot of information and worksheets not included on the screen lessons. We have done An American Safari and The Birchbark House, both at the 5th grade level. I strongly recommend these.
    A great place to find reading lists is in homeschool catalogs. I use lists from Sonlight, Drawn into the Heart of Reading, Beautiful Feet, and Learning Language Arts Through Literature. I have used all of these curriculums sometime in my homeschooling years. For the child who loves to read they would make a great addition to the reading lessons done on T4L.
    Carla

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

It should be noted too that for the first grade (which one of my daughters is in too ) it doesn't take long at all to complete the daily lessons. We are completing the year's worth of lessons in 30 weeks and it works out to be around 3 hours per week. She works fast though, so it would be best to let the child play with it for a bit so you can get an idea of how long she is taking on average (there are reports that list it all out for you). When they're younger, each lesson is fast, so it keeps their attention and doesn't get boring. Some of the printouts invove matching (connecting a group of words to its matching picture), multiple choice questions (with pictures), or write & draw prompts. Remember that T4L is a core curriculum, meaning that you can easily add other things to your homeschooling day. Our first grader reads whatever she wants on the side (anything from Knuffle Bunny to Junie B. Jones to Mathilda) and we just keep a list of what she's read.
    Melissa.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'll try to find those book logs.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

DonnaYoung's site has several different types of book lists/logs in PDF format if that is helpful to anyone.

http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/book_list.htm
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif